It’s a common daydream. Thinking about picking up and leaving the rat-race behind to live where the sun is shining and the living is easy. Or a dream retirement where the people are as warm as the sunshine and the cost of living allows your retirement income to stretch further than it ever would at home.
That daydream is becoming a reality in record numbers, as more and more foreigners are leaving home and moving to Mexico. But before buying a home on the beach, have you really thought about if expat life is right for you? Here are some questions to ask yourself:
1. How adaptable am I? If you are a creature of habit, adjusting to expat life may be a little harder. Living in Mexico means that almost everything that you have at home by way of goods and services, are available to you, although sometimes in different formats or manners. But if changes to your regular routine frustrate you, expat life may not be for you.
2. Are you willing to learn a new language? English is widely spoken in the Yucatan, but if you are going to live in here, learning at least a little bit broadens your experience, social circle and ability to manage day-to-day tasks.
3. Are you ready to make new friends? The expat lifestyle is very social and foreigners in Mexico form bonds, both in person and via online groups. These relationships help for supporting each other and for providing companionship.
4. How transferable are your skills or income? If you are thinking about retiring in Mérida, have you budgeted what type of lifestyle you can afford on your retirement savings? If you are still working age, can you work remotely from your current job or are your skills transferable to being able to work in Mexico? Remember, if you plan on working in Mexico, you must receive a job offer and apply for a work Visa prior to leaving your home country.
5. Have you done your research? There are hundreds of websites and online forums that can help you figure out the logistics of moving to Mexico. Google is absolutely your best friend when considering turning the dream into a reality.
So are you really ready to make the move and start your tropical lifestyle in Mexico? We’ll see…
more recommended stories
Dolphin Discovery Isla Mujeres “partners” with UN in global event
As part of the environmental education.
Diver reported for damaging the ecosystem in Cozumel reef
Through social networks, a diving service.
New luxury and PR strategy for Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen
Luxury strategy and public relations agency.
Tulum’s “Art With Me” Festival instantly becomes a world class event (FORBES.com)
Sunbathing on the beach in Tulum,.
Beautiful Costa Mujeres needs to be at the top of your travel bucket list
For many, a Mexican getaway consists.
Despite safety and security concerns, Cancun remains # 1 tourist destination in Latinamerica
Cancun maintained its position as the.
600 new police for Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum Quintana Roo
According to riviera-maya-news.com, approximately 600 new.
Teen jogger who accidentally crossed U.S. border from Canada is detained for two weeks
A teenager out for a beachside.
Grand Finale of the 2018 Merida Initiative National Mock Trial Competition for Mexican Law Students
Mexico City, 21 June, 2018 –.
Three time NBA Champion Klay Thompson charters plane to Mexico full of IG models
Three-time champion Klay Thompson is in.