Being one of the top attractions of Bacalar Lagoon, Cenote Azul is one of the top cenotes to visit in Mexico. It boasts a perfectly circular shape, and as it is an ancient cenote, it more resembles a lagoon or a lake than a cenote.
Cenote Azul has a dark blue colour thanks to its depth, which reaches an incredible 295 feet. Swimming in this cenote is an extraordinary experience, and it’s very refreshing. If you’re not a strong swimmer, make sure to rent a life jacket and enjoy floating in its waters carefree. Alternatively, you can also explore this large cenote on a kayak.
Bacalar lies in Quintana Roo, a 4-hour drive south of Cancun. You can find Cenote Azul 4 km south of Bacalar downtown, and the best way to get there is by rental car. It is also possible to get to Cenote Azul by taxi, or if you’re up for some cardio, you can also walk or cycle. A Cenote tour is also an easy way to explore these amazing natural wonders. This private tour takes you to Bacalar Lagoon.
One of the most beautiful places in southern Quintana Roo is the Cenote Azul de Bacalar . Here you can enjoy all kinds of incredible activities such as diving, swimming, snorkeling, among others.
In addition, you can savor the delicious cuisine we offer, thanks to our natural restaurant located right at the entrance.
If you want to know more interesting facts and know what activities to do, I invite you to continue reading as we will give you all the information you need.
Activities in the Blue Cenote
The Cenote Azul has many attractions, below you will find a list of the activities you can do in this beautiful place:
- Relax and spend the day with the family: you can easily choose a site in the cenote, sit and enjoy the water with your family and enjoy the beautiful ecosystem.
- Diving : you can practice diving in the shallower areas of the cenote. There are routes for beginners and experienced.
- Swimming : it is possible to practice swimming in the cenote. If you are a beginner you can rent life jackets or use the rope areas.
- Diving : in the deep area of the cenote you can dive from about 5 meters, since there is a platform from which to jump.
- Picnic : we have a restaurant inside the place, you can also bring your own food. Remember that alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Feed the fish: On the edge, it is possible to feed the fish while watching them move.
Enjoy the local fauna and flora: inside the cenote there is a varied fauna of iguanas, birds, fish and many other types of beautiful animals.
Cenote Azul Prices (2023)
The general cost of entry to the cenote is $25 Mexican pesos.
The cost to rent a life jacket is $50 pesos.
Where to Stay in Bacalar
There are many accommodations at excellent prices, we recommend you book in advance.
How to get to the Cenote Azul in Bacalar
You can get to the Cenote Azul de Bacalar by car, taxi or bicycle if you are in Bacalar. If you are in Chetumal, you can do it by taxi or car. Chetumal is 30 minutes from Cenote Azul (35 km).
Find out the exact location on Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/gpHMysSfjngaXuuR7