Do you have a U.S. visa that has expired less than 4 years ago? Don’t miss the opportunity to renew it without going through the interview with the consular officer.
The U.S. Embassy in Mexico reminded that those who want to renew their visa and it has not expired, or expired within the last 4 years, are eligible for the interview waiver.
Count the months since your visa expired and if you have not exceeded 48 months, you are eligible to renew without an interview.
According to the Department of State, the requirements you must meet to have your visa application approved without an interview are:
1. You are renewing a visa issued in the country from which you are applying and it is still valid or has expired within the last 48 months.
2. Be a local citizen or permanent resident of the country from which you are applying and be physically present in the country.
3. All 10 fingerprints must have been taken at the time the last visa was issued.
4. The previous visa was not lost, stolen or revoked.
5. The most recent visa application was not rejected.
Other people who can renew their U.S. visa without an interview
Children under the age of 6: are exempt from interview when both of their parents are Mexican and at least one of them has a valid and unexpired visa.
Adults over 80 years of age: almost always qualify for a visa exemption. They must reside in Mexico and never have been arrested or convicted of a crime. Much less have been deported from the United States or have a history of problems with Customs and Border Protection when trying to enter the country.
How to renew your U.S. visa without an interview? Follow these steps
1. The first step is to fill out the DS-160 application form at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/. It has 13 sections where you must enter your personal information, contact information, work and your reason for traveling to the United States. At the end, you will get a barcode to identify and track your application.
Please note that the application is in English and you will need to activate the Spanish translation at the beginning. You must have a valid passport before filling it out.
2. Go to the U.S. Visa Service website (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/es-mx/niv/). You will need to create an account with your email address and password. Once done, you will receive an e-mail notification that a new user has been created.
Follow the flow of the page until you get the instructions to make the payment. It costs $185 dollars.
3. Once the system has detected the payment, you will be able to schedule your appointments at the CAS and the embassy or consulate on the website.
4. After completing the visa appointment scheduling flow through this website, you will receive a notice informing you if you are eligible to renew your U.S. visa without an interview.
“Applicants who qualify for the “Renewal Interview Waiver” process will receive instructions on how to send or drop off their documents at the selected consular section,” they note.
5. The U.S. Visa Service will inform you when to go pick up your new visa at the CAS or it will be sent to the courier service you selected.
If you were not selected to renew your visa without an interview, you will have to go through a face-to-face interview with a consular officer at the consulate you selected when scheduling your appointments.