The Popocatepetl volcano is more active since in the last 24 hours of monitoring its activity it registered three explosions, an earthquake and almost 400 exhalations, informed the National Center for Disaster Prevention (CENAPRED).
In its report today, Friday, September 22, 2023, CENAPRED detailed that Don Goyo presented 380 exhalations accompanied by water vapor, volcanic gases and light amounts of ash.
In addition, the Popocatepetl volcano recorded three explosions, a moderate one that occurred yesterday at 13:05 hours, and two minor ones, one of them recorded yesterday at 17:04 hours and the other one this Friday at 9:07 hours.
Cenapred added that it also recorded a volcanotectonic earthquake of magnitude 1.9 that was detected yesterday at 21:12 hours.
The Popocatepetl volcano maintained a continuous emission of water vapor and volcanic gases since this morning that dispersed towards the west.
Traffic light for Popocatepetl is at Yellow Phase 2, what does it mean?
The volcanic alert traffic light is at Yellow Phase 2; at this level the scenarios contemplated for the Popocatepetl volcano are:
- Some explosions of minor to moderate size.
- Occurrence of tremor of variable amplitude.
- Mild to moderate ash fall in nearby towns and in some more distant cities.
- Ejection of incandescent fragments within the 12 km exclusion radius.
- Occurrence of lahars due to the accumulation of ash on the slopes and its interaction with the rains expected in the coming weeks.
- Possibility of pyroclastic flows that do not reach populations.