Mark Zuckerberg stated that Elon Musk is “not serious” about a cage fight and that it’s “time to move on” from the proposed confrontation, which never materialized.
“Elon doesn’t confirm a date, then says he needs surgery, and now wants to do a practice round in my backyard,” Meta’s CEO wrote on the social platform Threads this Sunday.
“If Elon ever takes a real date and official event seriously, he knows how to reach out to me. Otherwise, it’s time to move on. I’ll focus on competing with people who take the sport seriously,” Zuckerberg said.
The 39-year-old Zuckerberg had previously suggested August 26th for the fight, but stated that the 52-year-old Musk hadn’t confirmed it.
Last week, Musk wrote that the potential face-off would be streamed on X, formerly known as Twitter, of which he is the owner. Musk said he was “lifting weights all day, getting ready for the fight,” and added that “all proceeds will go to charity for veterans.”
Zuckerberg, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner, won gold and silver in two featherweight white belt categories at a California martial arts tournament in May.
In June, the two tech billionaires apparently agreed to face each other in a cage fight. Bets on the potential clash increased last month when Meta launched Threads, seen as a direct competitor to Twitter.
On July 10th, a few days after the launch, Zuckerberg announced that over 100 million people had registered on the platform, making it one of the fastest-growing apps in history.
However, industry estimates later showed that Threads was struggling to retain users and engagement had dropped to new lows.