Young man leaves charger connected, and his room goes up in flames

Charging smartphone with grey portable external battery on wooden Desk .; Shutterstock ID 640821112; Purchase Order: -

A pair of young men had to seek the assistance of the fire department after a fire broke out in Mérida, apparently caused by a short circuit in a cell phone charger.

The incident occurred in a house located on 27th Street between 10th and 12th Streets in the Antonia Jiménez Trava neighborhood, in the eastern part of Yucatán.

According to the information gathered, around 11:00 PM on Friday, Joaquín and Jonathan were about to have dinner when they smelled something burning. They proceeded to find the source of the smell.

Upon realizing that the smell was coming from a fire that had broken out in one of the rooms, they attempted to extinguish it. However, the flames had already spread to several pieces of clothing.

Since they couldn’t control the flames, they called for emergency services. A fire and rescue unit arrived and managed to put out the fire.

During the authorities’ investigation, one of the men admitted that he had left his cell phone charger connected, leading to the presumption that the fire was caused by a short circuit.

While the fire was brought under control before it spread throughout the house, considerable material damage was reported, as several clothes, shoes, and other valuable items were burned.

Recent studies indicate that current cell phone chargers come with quality certifications and automatic energy detection mechanisms, even when connected to a power outlet.

It is worth mentioning that although the new chargers come with these mechanisms, the devices still consume electrical energy, albeit in smaller amounts. Therefore, it is presumed that the fire was caused by a short circuit in the power outlet and not in the cell phone charger.

TYT Newsroom

more recommended stories