A hotel located in the heart of Cancun’s hotel zone, Quintana Roo, caught fire on Friday morning, resulting in a thick column of smoke and the evacuation of 1,100 people, including tourists and staff.
According to Antonio Riveroll, director of Civil Protection of Benito Juarez, 11 people were evaluated for smoke inhalation, but none were taken to the hospital.
He reported that an initial report indicates that the fire may have originated due to a malfunction in the installation of the hotel’s solar panels.
“Its cause is being analyzed. Apparently, they installed solar panels in the battery area to save energy, and there might have been an issue there. We need to verify if there were voltage fluctuations or if it could be related to the wiring,” he explained.