A short circuit was the possible cause of the fire that broke out on Monday afternoon at a store located at the entrance of the Emilio Seijo passage, on 60th Street between 63rd and 65th, right in the heart of downtown Mérida.
The affected location houses Liz Minelli, a women’s clothing store, and MiniGood, a store selling Chinese products. The premises had to be evacuated as soon as the fire and smoke started to emerge.
Authorities received the report and immediately called for the support of firefighters from the SSP (State Security Police), who extinguished the flames before they could spread and consume everything in their path. At the same time, elements of the Municipal Police of Mérida implemented a traffic operation to ensure that the firefighters could work without obstacles.
In the end, no one was injured, and the store owners would determine the total losses, which could amount to several thousand pesos.