Home NewsPeninsulaBeach Communities A boat is set on fire in El Cuyo after not respecting the lobster capture regulations

A boat is set on fire in El Cuyo after not respecting the lobster capture regulations

by Sofia Navarro
0 comment

After failing to respect the agreements made last Thursday among fishermen not to go out on Saturday to capture lobsters due to a lack of market, a boat was set on fire in the port of El Cuyo and three people were detained.

The incident occurred early Saturday morning when fishermen were informed that a boat had gone out to capture lobsters.

The lobster capture season was scheduled to begin on Saturday; however, the fishermen held a meeting last Thursday between cooperative directors and the fishermen themselves, where it was discussed that it would not be profitable to go out and catch lobsters since they had not yet secured a reliable buyer who offered a good price per kilogram of the product.

In other words, as of that Thursday, there was no secure market for the caught product, and in addition, there was no established price per kilogram since, as everyone knows, the price is determined based on the size of the lobster tails.

In light of the points discussed in that meeting, the fishermen of El Cuyo agreed that no one would go out to catch lobsters on Saturday, despite it being the official start day of capturing the valuable crustacean that brings livelihood to many local and non-local families every year. They unanimously agreed that the boats would begin the capture on Tuesday after securing buyers and a good price.

Despite the warnings given that appropriate measures would be taken if anyone did not respect the agreement, three men could not resist going out to fish for lobsters in the early hours of Saturday. However, the leaders of the agreement were alerted, and other boats quickly mobilized to search for them and intercepted the Marilin boat at sea, returning it to the port dock.

The three individuals on board, identified as L.A.P.M., M.L.C.C., and A.J.P. A., when brought to the shore, reportedly behaved aggressively towards the other fishermen, despite being reminded that they had not respected the agreement. The situation got out of control, and a scuffle ensued, which was eventually brought under control by state police officers who had to intervene to rescue the individuals and transport them to the Morelos barracks.

It should be noted that during the scuffle and before the arrival of the SSP officers, enraged people set fire to the boat, including the engine, causing a significant portion of it to be consumed by the flames.

TYT Newsroom

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Our Company

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consect etur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis.


Laest News

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
Update Required Flash plugin