Nopal, also known as the prickly pear cactus, is a versatile and nutritious ingredient that has been a staple in Mexican cuisine for centuries. With a crispy texture and a mild, slightly sweet flavor, nopal can be used in a variety of dishes, from salads to tacos and soups.
Apart from its culinary uses, nopal is also known for its health benefits. It is low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making it an excellent addition to any diet. Nopal is also believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and can help regulate blood sugar levels.
Here’s a simple recipe for a refreshing nopal salad:
4 clean nopales (cactus paddles)
2 medium-sized tomatoes
100g of fresh white cheese
Salt to taste
- First, we will prepare the nopales. Wash them well and cut them into cubes, strips, or rectangles, whichever geometric shape you prefer.
2. Put them in a pot with water and a touch of salt and cook for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
3. After the time has passed, remove them from the heat and strain them. Let them cool down to room temperature.
4. Meanwhile, dice the tomato into small cubes, the scallion into small rounds, and the white cheese into small or medium cubes, depending on your preference.
5. Put everything in a salad bowl.
6. Add the previously cooked nopales.
7. Chop some fresh cilantro leaves to taste and add them.
8. Finally, add salt to taste to the salad. And it’s ready.