A chocolate lava cake is a dessert that consists of a small chocolate cake with a warm, gooey chocolate center. When baked, the outside of the cake becomes firm and the center remains molten, creating a lava-like effect when the cake is cut open. The cake is typically served hot or warm, often with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Chocolate lava cake is a popular dessert in many restaurants and is also commonly made at home for a special occasion or as a treat.
Here’s a recipe for a delicious and easy-to-make chocolate lava cake:
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, add the chopped chocolate and unsalted butter. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, eggs, and egg yolks until pale and thick.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Sift the all-purpose flour and salt over the chocolate mixture and gently fold until just combined.
- Grease four 6-oz. ramekins with butter and dust with flour. Divide the chocolate mixture evenly between the ramekins.
- Bake the lava cakes for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are set but the center is still slightly jiggly.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully invert each ramekin onto a plate, tapping gently to release the cake.
- Dust the cakes with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Enjoy your delicious and decadent chocolate lava cakes!