As of Sunday, March 19, the archaeological zone of Chichen Itza will begin to receive visitors influenced by the spring equinox, for which reason it is estimated that some 25 thousand tourists will arrive at the site on March 19th, 20th and 21st, state and federal authorities agreed.
Figures from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) revealed that last year the archaeological zone received 27,975 visitors from March 19 to 21.
The director of the Cultur Board, Mauricio Díaz Montalvo, said that they have very high expectations for the March 21 equinox, since it will be a long weekend. For this reason, preparations have already begun to design security operations in Chichén Itzá.
The state official pointed out that March 21 will be Tuesday, so it is expected that, from Sunday and Monday, the archaeological zone will be full, expecting more than 25 thousand people.
The coordination work includes the authorities of the three levels of government, including INAH, the National Guard, Public Security, and the Tinum Police, so that the attendees have the necessary security conditions.
Díaz Montalvo commented that, in conjunction with INAH, cultural events will be offered to visitors so that while they wait for access to see the phenomenon of light and shadow, they can learn a little more about Yucatán.
He said that they are also preparing to receive regional and national tourism during Easter Week at the tourist attractions such as Celestún and “El Corchito“, but now they are also adding the Meteorite Museum, which is expected to be a point of reference for visitors.