Home NewsPeninsulaBeach Communities Dolphin runs aground on the beach of Progreso and local residents report it to environmental authorities

Dolphin runs aground on the beach of Progreso and local residents report it to environmental authorities

by Yucatan Times
0 comment

A dolphin of more than two meters in length was found this Friday, March 3rd, in the coastal area of the municipality, specifically in the boundaries between Chicxulub and Uaymitun.

The finding was made by residents of the summer houses and seamen of the coastal fleet who were lifting ships, the meeting point being a few meters from the nightclub area in the eastern sector.

It was a mammal weighing more than two hundred kilos and exceeding two meters in length, so an operation was immediately implemented with the participation of witnesses and agents of the ecological police who arrived immediately after the emergency call from the citizen.

In a matter of minutes, the place where the animal was found was filled with people who even tried to touch the animal, but they were warned by the elements of the aforementioned agency, since the reason for the recale, as the specialists have made known, could be because the animals are injured or because of some health affectation.

As protocol dictates, those present kept the marine animal covered with sheets so that its skin would not be damaged by the weather, and it received constant buckets of water so that it would not succumb to an environment to which dolphins are not accustomed.

Part of the interference taken in the case was through the Program for Investigation and Conservation of Marine Mammals of Yucatan (PICMMY) in charge of Dr. Raul Diaz Gamboa, since this organism will determine in the early hours of Saturday what will happen with the dolphin.

Among what was made known unofficially is that it can be released without any problem, unless it presents a problem in its organism and requires rehabilitation and observation by specialists affiliated to the UADY.

The last time there was a similar case was on January 27th when an animal of the same species, but almost three meters long, also caused surprise when it arrived at the beach of the traditional boardwalk. In spite of showing signs of aggression in several parts of its body, it was released a day later, this by means of another operation that was maintained with considerable precautions and required two vessels of the ecological police and the navy.

One of the most similar cases occurred six years ago, in the days following the carnival festivities, when at 8:00 a.m. on February 28, 2016, alarms were raised when a whale, 12 meters long and weighing between 10 and 12 tons, washed up dead on the beach of the international seawall.

TYT Newsroom

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Our Company

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consect etur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis.


Laest News

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
Update Required Flash plugin