The El Pinabete coal mine in Sabinas, Coahuila, Mexico, collapsed on August 3. Rescuers were able to extract five people, but ten remain trapped in shafts that have been flooded. There have been no known signs of life or contact with the missing miners since then.
Andrés Manuel López Obrador, president of Mexico, announced on Monday, August 29th, that the government will compensate the families of the 10 miners trapped in Coahuila with 4 million pesos for each missing miner, but he also said that the rescue operation will continue.
He said that “there is already an agreement with the relatives” and that this Tuesday he could meet with them to sign a document, in addition to the fact that there could be a memorial, but they would talk about it after they are removed.
The 10 workers have been trapped in the El Pinabete mine since August 3, and relatives have accused precarious conditions and the government’s slow reaction to the operation.