The single most effective set of muscles you can work to extend your life is in your hands.
Why it matters:
This shocked us, too. But many health and fitness experts argue that since falling is the leading cause of injury-related death once we cross 65 years old, we should start strengthening our hands now.
The threat is getting worse. Death by falling increased 30% from 2009 to 2018, according to CDC data.
- Stronger hands grip tighter to prevent falls — and brace stronger when you tumble.
- Grip strength is especially important for those older adults who use canes, walkers or handrails or need assistance getting out of chairs, says David Bellar, a kinesiologist at UNC Charlotte.
It’s not just bracing yourself. Scientists have linked stronger hands to healthier hearts.
- One study in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that higher grip strength was correlated to lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar and higher good cholesterol levels.
The most effective way to improve your grip strength is a simple dead hang, which works like it sounds — hanging still from a bar with your feet off the ground. Start by holding as long as you can, then work your way up from there.
- Or try the farmer’s carry: Take a walk around your house or gym with two heavy objects in your hands.
You can also work on your grip while sitting down with some easy exercises. Here are links to two tools to use at your desk to build stronger hands:
- This grip strengthener, which you simply squeeze, will record the number of times you use it so you can track your progress.
- This power ball, which you rotate in your hand, is especially effective for strengthening your wrists and relieving inflammation from arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
more recommended stories
Ray Liotta, ‘Goodfellas’ star and gifted character actor, dies at 67
Ray Liotta, the actor best known.
Photographic essay: Colombia elections, a reality not too far away from Mexico’s
Colombia will host Presidential elections this.
Ellen Ochoa, the first Latino woman to go to space published her “Dr. Ochoa’s Stellar World” book series
Lil’ Libros Publishing has acquired world.
The Rally Maya Mexico 2022 has begun in Cancun
On Sunday, May 22nd, the Rally.
Bazara LGBT+, a containment space for inclusion celebrated its first anniversary in Merida
On May 22, the Bazara LGBT+,.
Motorcycle club will hold a great ride next weekend in Progreso
Next Saturday, May 28, and Sunday,.
New Hospital O’Horán in Mérida: authorities confirm the date to announce the tender
Next Tuesday, June 8, the name.
A new modern way for responsible adoption of Animals: CEMCA launches the “Esperando Por Ti” App
The Municipal Animal Control Center was.
32-year-old patient dies from Covid in Yucatan
In Yucatan, the mandatory use of.
The Jurassic Trail aims to be an economic trigger for the port of Progreso
The Jurassic Trail continue with the.