Chilaquiles is a typical Mexican dish made from cut, fried, or toasted (or natural) tortillas, which are cooked in a spicy sauce that can be red or green depending on the type of chili used and has many regional variations. being able to contain other ingredients such as chicken or beef, just to mention a few.
This popular traditional breakfast dish features lightly fried corn tortillas cut into quarters and topped with green or red salsa (the red is slightly spicier). Scrambled or fried eggs and pulled chicken are usually added on top, as well as cheese and cream. Chilaquiles are often served with a healthy dose of frijoles (refried beans).
Try making your own Chilaquiles! Here is the step-by-step recipe:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 4 dried mutalo chillies (buy online), soaked in 250ml/9fl oz of boiling water
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 clove
- 1 slice of bread
- 4 cooked chicken breasts , shredded (or use Quorn to make it veggie)
- 300g bag salted tortilla chips
- 100g cheddar , grated
- soured cream , to serve
- STEP 1 Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a small pan on a low heat. Fry the seeds, garlic and onion for a few mins. Remove the stalks from the chillies, and add another 250ml of water to the soaking liquid. In a food processor or blender, blend the chillies and liquid with the onion mix, cinnamon, clove and the bread until smooth.
- STEP 2 Heat the remaining oil in a mediumsize pan and warm the sauce, stirring non-stop until thick and glossy. Heat the grill while you layer up the tortilla chips and shredded chicken in an ovenproof dish. Pour over the sauce and scatter the cheese on. Grill until the cheese has melted and serve with soured cream.
The Yucatan Times
more recommended stories
Ellen Ochoa, the first Latino woman to go to space published her “Dr. Ochoa’s Stellar World” book series
Lil’ Libros Publishing has acquired world.
The Rally Maya Mexico 2022 has begun in Cancun
On Sunday, May 22nd, the Rally.
Bazara LGBT+, a containment space for inclusion celebrated its first anniversary in Merida
On May 22, the Bazara LGBT+,.
Motorcycle club will hold a great ride next weekend in Progreso
Next Saturday, May 28, and Sunday,.
A new modern way for responsible adoption of Animals: CEMCA launches the “Esperando Por Ti” App
The Municipal Animal Control Center was.
The Jurassic Trail aims to be an economic trigger for the port of Progreso
The Jurassic Trail continue with the.
Three Things The Maya Taught Us – And We Forgot
Between 250 and 1500 AD, the.
Xcaret postpones the 14th edition of the Sacred Maya Journey
The return of the traditional Sacred.
US government officials talk about UFOs publicly for the first time in 50 years
Two senior U.S. defense intelligence officials.
Face-to-face courses return to La Ibérica de Mérida; they will celebrate a big event on Sunday
On Sunday, May 22, the Centro.