Profeco identified the cheapest and most expensive supermarkets and grocery stores in the country, for which it divided them into four regions. Walmart and Soriana supermarkets are the ones that sell 21 most expensive basic products, compared, for example, with supply centers.
MEXICO, (December 22, 2021).- When releasing for the first time its report on the prices of the basic shopping basket, the Federal Prosecutor’s Office for the Consumer (Profeco) located the supermarkets and supply sites that sell more expensive and cheaper basic consumer products.
To make its weekly report, the agency took into account the four regions established by the Bank of Mexico (Banxico), the food basket studied by the National Council for the Evaluation of Social Development Policy (Coneval), and the average number of members of a family in the country, which is four, according to the 2020 Population and Housing Census of the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi).
There are 21 products monitored in total and they were determined with the consumption trends during 2021. The list is as follows:
- Canola or corn oil 1 piece of 946 ml.
- Rice in grain 1 kg.
- Brown sugar 1 kg.
- Beef steak 1 kg.
- Onion 1 kg.
- Serrano chili 1 kg.
- Pork chop 1 kg.
- Bean in grain 900 grs.
- White chicken egg 1 pack of 18 pieces
- Toilet soap 1 pc.
- Saladet tomato 1 kg.
- Lemon 1 kg.
- Apple 1 kg.
- Melon 1 kg.
- Box bread 1 package of 680 grs.
- Potato 1 kg.
- Toilet paper 1 bag of 4 pieces
- Soup pasta 1 package 220 grs.
- Whole chicken 1 kg.
- Supermarket corn tortilla 4 kg.
The most expensive and cheapest supermarkets
For the region that includes Mexico City, State of Mexico, Guanajuato, Hidalgo, Morelos, Puebla, Querétaro, and Tlaxcala, the most expensive and cheapest sites are:
- Most expensive: Tienda Soriana, Benito Juárez City Hall, Mexico City – 1,037.25 pesos
- Cheapest: Central de Abasto of the country’s capital , Iztapalapa mayor’s office – 442.08 pesos.
In the region of Baja California Sur, Aguascalientes, Durango, Jalisco, Michoacán, San Luis Potosí, Sinaloa and Zacatecas, the stores at the ends are:
- Most expensive: Walmart store, Las Américas neighborhood, Morelia – 1,031.80 pesos.
- Cheapest: Central de Abasto de Guadalajara , Jalisco – 381.51 pesos.
In the area that includes Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León, Sonora and Tamaulipas, the most expensive and cheapest supermarkets are:
- More expensive: Walmart, Las Brisas neighborhood, Monterrey – 1,030.70 pesos.
- Cheapest: Central de Abasto, Santa Margarita neighborhood, Monterrey – 383.17 pesos.
For Campeche, Chiapas, Guerrero, Oaxaca, Quintana Roo, Tabasco, Veracruz and Yucatán, the sites found are:
- More expensive: Soriana Hiper, Ex Hacienda Candiani neighborhood, in the city of Oaxaca – 1,015.45 pesos.
- Cheapest: Central de Abasto de Villahermosa, Tabasco – 347.71 pesos.