MEXICO, (December 04, 2021).- Given the probability of a fourth wave of COVID-19 in Mexico, experts from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) issued a series of recommendations to avoid and reduce infections.
The preventive measures such as the use of face masks, washing hands or using antibacterial gel and restrict gatherings and parties indoors should not be ignored, said Maria Guadalupe Miranda Novales, Susana López Charreton and Alejandro Macias, specialists UNAM.
- No closed meetings
People have to avoid going to massive acts carried out in closed places and without the use of face masks and preventive measures.
And it is that although, a young and healthy person who is vaccinated can be infected and not have a serious disease, it is possible that they infect others in their environment who have a risk condition.
“It is not only individual care, it is the care of all those around us, family, friends, colleagues, among others,” said the experts.
- Hand washing
Hand washing is one of the most effective preventive measures: before eating or preparing food, before touching your face, after using the bathroom, after visiting a public place, after sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose, after touching the face mask, and before putting it on, after changing diapers, after coming into contact with someone who is sick, after touching animals or pets.
If soap and water are not available, hand hygiene products such as alcohol gel can be used,, except when hands are visibly dirty.
- Use of mask and hygiene when coughing or sneezing
Use a face mask or mask whenever you come into contact with other people and in closed environments. The mask should cover your nose and mouth, and fit your face properly. Trying to keep it clean and change it when it gets wet or dirty.
When coughing or sneezing it is important to cover the mouth and nose, if it is not possible with a hanky, the internal angle of the elbow can be used, the label sneeze.
- The best thing will always be to stay at home
Despite the recommendations to avoid COVID-19 infections during a possible fourth wave , experts assured that it is best to stay home in order to reduce the risk of suffering from this disease.
“People have to understand that as long as this is not over, whoever does not have something important to go out to, the best thing is that they still work from home, that tumults are avoided, closed places with many people, always wear face masks, especially in spaces closed, and all other measures, not only for those who are not vaccinated, but the entire population, ” said Alejandro Macías.
Recommendations to avoid infections during the holidays
Following a series of recommendations and suggestions can minimize the risks of contagion by COVID-19 during the holiday season of December, some of these are:
- Make a plan for the meeting: it is important to talk with family and friends, and discuss if there are vulnerable people in the group.
- Everyone must be vaccinated: those who are candidates to receive the vaccine must have it. It must be remembered that vaccines reduce the risk of infection and that they not only protect those who receive it, but also those who live with the vaccinated person.
- Take extreme precautions: five to seven days before the event, safety and hygiene measures must be taken to extremes, such as: the use of face masks correctly, hand washing or use of alcohol gel, maintain physical distance and avoid meeting in spaces closed without ventilation.
- Antigenic test: Ideally, people who do not live in the same house should have an antigenic test before getting together to party.
- Symptoms related to COVID-19: If someone has symptoms compatible with COVID-19, they should not attend meetings, even if their test result is negative.
- Healthy distance: While it may be possible to meet up, it is best to keep a healthy distance and avoid hugging
- Good ventilation or open spaces: ventilated areas should be kept with the doors and windows open, even if it is cold season, or hold meetings in patios or gardens; since that can help a lot so that a place can be ventilated and that viruses do not accumulate in the air.
- Do not put people together: it is important to consider avoiding putting people together in the same room.
UNAM experts pointed out that “the measures have to continue even if one is vaccinated, since immunizations prevent severe disease and death, although the risk of contagion continues.”
“The unvaccinated are still at risk, who has not been vaccinated sooner or later will get sick, by any variant; therefore, precautions must be maintained, even in the vaccinated population, ” said Macías, who is also the former commissioner for influenza in Mexico.
Recommendations for the unvaccinated
“If you have not been vaccinated, please come and do it as soon as possible. Maintain prevention measures at all times, ” suggested the academics, who agreed ” to avoid meetings in crowded, non-ventilated places, and if they attend, use face masks at all times and maintain a healthy distance of at least 1.5 meters. “
- Unvaccinated people have been reported to be 11 times more likely to be at risk of death from COVID19.
The most susceptible are people who do not want to be vaccinated, and the inequality in vaccination brings the appearance of variants because the virus is replicating a lot. The mortality they are seeing is due to the lack of vaccination, experts said.
“Vaccines work, it doesn’t matter which one; the numbers say mortality is dropping. The third wave had more cases than the previous ones, but fewer deaths; the difference was that the vaccination began, ” said Susana López Charretón.
Fourth wave of COVID-19 in Mexico
Experts say that a fourth wave in Mexico is likely to happen, so you have to study the histories of the other three waves that have emerged after that in Europe.
Regarding the severity of the possible next wave , Alejandro Macías comments that “Mexico is coming off the peak of the delta variant; Throughout the world, the departure from the peak of the delta variant leads to greater control because it is a formidable variant that is transmitted very easily, almost all countries will have to suffer this peak before saying that they will go to a situation of greater Balance”.
In addition, he added that given the new variant that appeared in South Africa, B.1.1.529, named omicr on, “this could replace the delta, and it would be the first time that it has been removed, but we do not know if it will happen; otherwise, it is very difficult for us to have a peak like the previous ones ”.
However, it is still unknown if it is the variants that move the waves and if the new omicron variant will be as strong as the delta, however, it is known that the most susceptible are those who are dying, regardless of the variants.
The specialists recalled that as at the beginning of the pandemic, people who have risk conditions such as diabetes mellitus, obesity, hypertension, heart disease, kidney disease, some immunocompromised condition, are more vulnerable and those who are more likely to have disease severe, just like older adults.
These people, despite being vaccinated, could become infected and require hospitalization. If they are not, the risk is even higher.
Source: UNO TV