Former cartel boss Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo breaks his silence in an interview with Noticias Telemundo, his first since being apprehended in 1989 in connection with the deaths of DEA undercover agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena and Mexican pilot Alfredo Zavala.
Details: The man who once was considered “The Godfather” of narco crime and one of the most feared criminals worldwide is now a visibly worn-down 75-year-old who calls himself a “corpse waiting to be buried by a tree’s roots.”
Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free.
- About Camarena, Félix Gallardo says: “Never met him […] but I know he was a good man,” as he continued to deny that he masterminded the agent’s murder.
- Yet he added he hopes Camarena’s widow “should feel relieved that the culprits are serving time.”
- Besides Félix Gallardo, former Guadalajara Cartel co-leader Ernesto Fonseca is under house arrest.
- Former cop and presumed triggerman in the murder, Francisco Tejeda Jaramillo, left prison in 2016 and is now a painter.
Flashback: Félix Gallardo’s expansion of drug routes toward the U.S. earned him the nickname “jefe de jefes,” and the group he co-founded was the first major Mexican criminal organization.
- Félix Gallardo once worked alongside fugitive Rafael Caro Quintero, one of the FBI’s 10 most wanted, and oversaw lieutenants like a young Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán — later leader of the Sinaloa cartel — and Amado Carrillo Fuentes, nicknamed “el señor de los cielos” for the fleet of airplanes used to move drugs for his Juárez cartel.
State of play: The Sinaloa and Juárez cartels are still operating, after their original kingpins were imprisoned or died. The Guadalajara cartel is no more.
The Yucatan Times
more recommended stories
Son finds the lifeless body of his elderly mother wrapped in a piece of cloth in Maní, Yucatán
MANÍ, Yucatán, (September 18, 2021).- Margarita.
Free campaign to vaccinate your pet against rabies starts Sunday, September 19th in Yucatán
The campaign will be held from.
Walmart security guard gunned down in Cancun
A woman who was shopping for.
Subjects break into Mérida´s home and abduct a child in legal action for custody
Mérida, Yucatán, (September 17, 2021).- Alleged.
Yucatan State Government does not grant permits for Christian Nodal’s concert in Mérida
Mérida, Yucatán, (September 17, 2021).- Through.
Young man missing in the municipality of Opichén was found lifeless two days later
MÉRIDA, Yucatán, (September 17, 2021).- After.
FGE rules out kidnapping and execution of radio station executive
Mérida, Yucatán, (September 17, 2021).- The.
Cuba’s parliament to analyze same-sex marriage
The draft of a new family.
New construction regulations in Quintana Roo guarantee access to people with disabilities
The regulation will make it compulsory.
Yucatan has not reported Dengue cases for 4 months despite heavy rains
YUCATAN, (September 17, 2021).- Yucatán has.