August 10, 2021.- The World Lion Day was established by ‘Big Cat Rescue’ – world’s largest accredited sanctuary for big cats. 10th of August was chosen to celebrate the existence of lions.
Here are some of interesting facts to know about lions:
1. Pride-lions live in a large group known as pride. It is like the wolves’ pattern of living.
2. Living Space – The king of the jungle lives only in grasslands and plains.
3. Weight- The male lions weighs more than 500 pounds and grows up to eight feet in length.
4. Male lions- The male lions have dignified manes; long thick hair around they head, neck and shoulder which makes them appear larger and more intimidating. Unlike the female cubs, the male cubs are responsible for their own living post maturity.
5. Female lions- The female lions are smaller and faster. The female lions and their sisters live together. Even the female cubs are joined in the pride.
6. Roar-The roar of the male lion can be heard from up to 5 miles away. Their roar is the loudest amongst the big cat species.
7. Life- A lion usually lives for maximum 16 years in the wild and 25 years in captivity.
8. Hunt- Mostly lions hunt at night because of the adaptation skills of their eyes over dark. This gives them huge advantage over the prey.
9. Appearance- The coloration of these animals varies from light yellow to dark brown. The lion is armed with claws, which can be almost 10 cm each.
10. According to reports, over a century ago there were more than 2,00,000 wild lions living in Africa. Recent surveys estimate that in the last two decades, lion numbers have declined from approximately 30,000 to about 20,000.
Lions are currently listed as “vulnerable” on the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species. In West Africa, the species is now classified as “critically endangered.”
The overall intention to celebrate the World Lion Day is to find sustainable solutions to protect and save wild lion populations from extinction globally.
Source: Free press journal
more recommended stories
Valladolid, Yucatan and Valladolid, Spain strenghten ties at Madrid’s FITUR 2022
“Valladolid has enormous development potential, which.
A truck driver drives 20 km in the opposite direction in the Mérida-Cancún Hwy (Watch Video)
During its journey, the truck almost.
Mauricio Vila to watch closely the Maya Train Project construction works in Yucatan
Governor Mauricio Vila Dosal held a.
Morelos Governor Cuauhtémoc Blanco denounces narco-political network in the state
Lots of politicians have ties to.
Villa María and its cenote, the natural attraction inside the historic center of Mérida
Only three known cenotes remain within.
Yucatan beekeepers position the state in first place nationwide in honey production
Among the Maya inheritances that Yucatan.
Vila and Fonatur Director reaffirm their commitment to continue promoting projects
Vila Dosal and the federal official.
Mexican Navy will take control of the security at Mérida Airport
The Mexican Navy (SEMAR) will be.
Yucatan Restaurant Sector severely affected by the unstoppable price increase
The restaurants are resisting this increase.
Expansion of the Electric Network in Chelem, Yucatan
Progreso City Council, will expand the.