(June 15, 2021).- Dates are high in natural sugar, so many people think they may not be good for them. However, these sweet fruits are packed with plenty of nutrients, making them an excellent snack in moderation.
Dates grow on date palms in small clusters. The term date comes from the Greek word ‘daktulos‘, which means fingers.
Farmers harvest dates in the fall and early winter, so dates usually taste freshest at this time of year. However, many people eat dried dates, which can last for a long time in a sealed container.
In this article, we will learn about the health benefits of dates and how to incorporate them into a well-balanced diet.
Five benefits of eating dates
In addition to tasting great, dates contain protein, vitamins, and minerals, dates are also:
- High in polyphenols. Polyphenols are antioxidant compounds that can protect the body from inflammation. Dates contain more polyphenols than most other fruits and vegetables.
- Alternative to empty-calorie sweets. Dates can satisfy a person’s sweet tooth while also providing essential nutrients, such as vitamin B-6 and iron.
- High in fiber. Just ¼ of a cup of dates provides 12 percent of a person’s daily fiber requirement. Fiber helps a person feel fuller for longer.
- High in potassium. Dates are high in potassium, which is an electrolyte the body needs for good heart health. Potassium also helps to build muscle and proteins in the body.
- Great for substitutions. People can replace the sugar, chocolate chips, or candies in baking recipes with dates to ensure they are eating natural sugars instead of refined sugars.
Deglet Noor dates are one of the most common types of dates that people can find in the supermarket.
The following is the nutritional information for one average-sized Trusted Source Deglet Noor date:
- calories: 20
- total fat: 0.03 grams (g)
- total carbohydrates: 5.33 g
- dietary fiber: 0.6 g
- sugar: 4.5 g
- protein: 0.17 g
- vitamin B-6: 0.012 milligrams (mg)
- iron: 0.07 mg
- magnesium: 3 mg
- potassium: 47 mg
Another common variety is the Medjool date. Medjool dates have a similar nutritional content Trusted Source and are often larger than Deglet Noor dates.
Risks and considerations
Dates have a very high sugar content relative to the rest of their nutritional value. People who are trying to manage their blood sugar, such as those with diabetes, should be mindful of their total sugar intake when consuming dates.
Eating dates in moderation is unlikely to raise a person’s blood sugar excessively, even if they have diabetes.
According to one study Trusted Source, dates are a low glycemic index food that does not result in significant increases in blood sugar in people with or without diabetes.
Although the researchers had only a small sample size, their findings do indicate that eating dates in moderation should not dramatically impact a person’s blood sugar.
Source: Medical News Today
more recommended stories
First camp featuring “cenote clean-up” activities in Yucatan
YUCATAN, (October 15, 2021).- This Saturday,.
Campeche citizens denounce the terrible image of their historic center
Campeche, (October 15, 2021).- Inhabitants of.
Luis Enrique Roche was appointed as the new president of the Board of Trustees of the Mérida´s Historic Center
Merida, Yucatan, (October 15, 2021).- The.
Hospital Faro del Mayab presents surgery plans at affordable prices
General surgery, proctology, orthopedics, neurosurgery and.
Will the new COVID antiviral pills become a pandemic game changer?
Pharmaceutical giant Merck announced Monday that.
German automotive company PREH interested to invest in Yucatán
PREH is a German company, with.
Mérida´s Passport office will change from Paseo de Montejo to The Harbor Plaza
MÉRIDA, Yucatán, (October 15, 2021).- Very.
This is the story of how Pixie and Michito became best friends…
Who said cats and dogs do.
This Thursday the traditional Santa Lucía Park Serenades returns to Downtown Mérida
MÉRIDA, Yucatán, (October 14, 2021).- With.
Digital window of the International Cervantino Festival arrives in Mérida
Merida Yucatan, (October 14, 2021).- Cinema, music,.