President Trump’s ongoing fight for victory may be a sign he has finally accepted defeat.
It’s been days since President-elect Joe Biden was declared the winner of the 2020 election, but Trump is still refusing to concede the election and embarking on a legal battle to challenge votes cast in key states. He’s also soliciting donations to cover that legal effort — but that’s not exactly where the money is going, The New York Times reports.
Trump’s campaign has been bombarding supporters over the past week, begging for donations to his “official election defense fund.” “Initially, 60 percent of donations were going to pay off debts that the Trump campaign had accumulated,” the Times writes. But 60 percent of those donations are now headed to the Save America PAC, which Trump’s campaign treasurer registered with the Federal Election Commission on Monday. The other 40 percent is going to the Republican National Committee. As Brendan M. Fischer, an attorney at the Campaign Legal Center, puts it, “small donors who give thinking they’re helping to defend the integrity of our election are in fact largely helping to finance Trump’s post-presidential political ventures.”
That leadership PAC could come in handy before Trump leaves the White House. Both of Georgia’s Senate races are headed for runoffs in early January, and Republicans will need to hold their seats to retain Senate control. And after he’s no longer the president, Trump can use the fund for travel, polling, consultants, and donations to other campaigns, helping him “retain influence in a party that has been remade largely in his image over the past four years,” the Times reports. It won’t, however, be of any help to Trump if he decides to run again in 2024 — something Axios reports he is already considering.
more recommended stories
A woman is crushed to death when a tree falls on top of her car on the Mérida-Valladolid highway
A strange accident happened on Thursday,.
Face-to-face courses return to La Ibérica de Mérida; they will celebrate a big event on Sunday
On Sunday, May 22, the Centro.
Yucatan is about to receive the first cloud of dust from the Sahara desert in 2022
A cloud of dust from the.
Yucatecans seek to sell one ton of Cochinita Pibil and 6 thousand panuchos in Mexico City
With the “Yucatán Expone” program, Yucatecan.
Mérida Municipal Police officer returns wallet to owner with more than 5 thousand pesos
The Mérida Municipal Police agent Roberto.
Man sentenced to 32 years in prison for homicide in Mérida, Yucatán
After being found criminally responsible for.
Yucatan registers over 60 infections by Covid in 24 hours
On May 19th, the administration of.
“Live without Drugs” campaign connects with Yucatecan students
The Segey and Fundación Azteca convene.
On Thursday, May 19th, the Mérida Airport registered a total of 54 flights, all on schedule
On Thursday, May 19th, three flights.
Mérida joins the national mourning day for victims of femicide in Mexico
On Wednesday, May 18th at 6:00.