Two tropical waves are making their way west across the Atlantic, and the National Hurricane Center said they both have a chance of strengthening into a tropical depression later this week.
Both waves are thousands of miles from land and not yet to the stage where the hurricane center is releasing maps of their potential track, but forecasters said one or both storms could get there this week.
Wave one, the closer one, is producing disorganized thunderstorms and gusty winds over the eastern Caribbean Sea, according to the hurricane center’s 2 p.m. Tuesday advisory.
Forecasters say it has a 30 percent chance of upgrading to a depression in the next two days, but its odds are higher, 70 percent, for developing later in the week or during the weekend when it reaches the northwestern Caribbean Sea.
Wave one’s roughly projected path takes it toward the Yucatan Peninsula and well south of Puerto Rico and Cuba. Heavy rain and gusty winds are also expected over portions of the Windward Islands and southern Leeward Islands Tuesday morning, according to the hurricane center.
Wave two is about 1,300 miles east of the Lesser Antilles and is producing a concentrated area of showers and thunderstorms, according to the hurricane center.
“Environmental conditions are conducive for further development, and a tropical depression is likely to form within the next couple of days while the system moves westward to west-northwestward at 15 to 20 mph across the central and western portions of the tropical Atlantic,” forecasters wrote.
Forecasters say the system’s chances of strengthening in the next two days are high at 80 percent and even higher at 90 percent within the next five days.
The latest projected path of the second wave has moved slightly more north. It’s far too early to tell where or when the storm could come.
NOAA has projected the 2020 hurricane season could be one of the most active of all times, with 19 to 25 named storms occurring. So far, there have been 11 named storms, two of which were hurricanes at one point. The next two names on the list are Laura and Marco.
Source: Miami Herald
more recommended stories
Lopez Obrador back in his morning press conference after only one week of testing positive for Covid
AMLO returned to his morning news.
SSP suspends clandestine party with alcohol, drugs and 30 minors in Kanasin, Yucatan
Two people were arrested for holding.
An eco-friendly way to keep street cats warm in Egypt goes viral (Watch Video)
In Giza, Egypt locals came up.
Yucatan Tourism Sector fears cancellation of conventions due to the increase in Covid-19 infections
Tourist Sector asks the population to.
Local businessmen express their interest to invest in La Plancha
Businessmen from Yucatan and Mexico confirm their.
Dispute over land leaves a seriously injured person in Halachó, Yucatan (Watch Video)
Violence breaks out in a Halachó.
Massive Icefish breeding colony discovered in Antarctica
A polar research exploration has discovered.
Tulum Hotel Association re-elects leader for three more years
David Ortiz Mena will be president.
AMLO’s new airport was built on top of the largest fossil deposit in Latin America
Scientists and army engineers have pulled.
81% of the Yucatecan population is already immunized against Covid-19
More than 1.5 million Yucatecans aged.