Perez and some of his Racing Point teammates were self-isolating ahead of the race at Silverstone after the Mexican driver’s initial test came back as inconclusive.
“Following today’s announcement that Sergio Perez of the BWT Racing Point Formula 1 Team produced an inconclusive test result for COVID-19… the FIA and Formula 1 can now confirm that the result of his re-test is positive,” F1 said in a statement.
“Perez has entered self-quarantine in accordance with the instructions of the relevant public health authorities, and will continue to follow the procedure mandated by those authorities.”
A spokesman for Silverstone-based Racing Point said earlier that Perez, who was not at the circuit, had not been back to Mexico since he last raced in Hungary on July 19.
He said a small group of team members who had come into contact with the driver were also self-isolating and being re-tested.
Perez had been due to attend a video news conference with teammate Lance Stroll at the circuit but the Canadian faced questions alone.
Practice for the British Grand Prix, the fourth round of the Formula One season, starts on Friday.
Racing Point shares reserve drivers with engine supplier Mercedes, who have Belgian Stoffel Vandoorne and Mexican Esteban Gutierrez available.
Formula One has started its delayed season without spectators and under carefully controlled conditions, with teams operating in “bubbles” and all employees and those with access to the paddock tested every five days.
The sport had reported only two positive results, neither involving people who attended races, from more than 15,000 tests carried out from June 26 to July 23.
more recommended stories
President Joe Biden warns Vladimir Putin of consequences in case of a Russian invasion of Ukraine
WASHINGTON — President Biden warned Russian.
Former President Felipe Calderón accuses AMLO of “Fake News”
MEXICO, (December 07, 2021).- The former.
Environmentalists call to report animal abuse in Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche
They have registered up to six.
Traditional ‘Burning of the Old Man’ will be prohibited this New Year’s Eve in Progreso
Traditional end-of-year activity will be prohibited.
Yucatecan tour operators reinforce security measures to receive cruise passengers
Expectations for 2022 are positive, but.
The Electric Reform has nothing to do with ideology, says Rocío Nahle
Before senators, the Energy Secretary, Rocío.
More than 100 Haitian migrants arrive in Campeche
San Francisco de Campeche, (December 07,.
Flunked! UN Committee condemns Mexico in combating forced disappearance
They deliver a preliminary report on.
Tenants of Municipal Markets of Mérida have all Christmas items in clearance
Mérida, Yucatán, (December 07, 2021).- In.
Americans embrace more COVID shots as Omicron spreads
Vaccination rates have ticked higher since.