Today Monday April 20, 2020, Cancun, one of the main tourist destinations in the country, turns 50. However, in a sad, empty environment, due to the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic.
For the celebration more than 300 scheduled events, had to be canceled or postponed due to the speed Covid-19 has spread among the local population.
In Cancun, where phase 3 health measures are being taken right now, 16 deaths from coronavirus have already been registered, and 223 positive cases. Statewide, Quintana Roo registers 32 deaths and 317 infected patients.
The uncertainty generated by the tourism paralysis, the massive layoffs and the salary cuts, added to the confinement that prevents informal merchants, freelancers, entrepreneurs and people who receive income from daily jobs, has depressed its inhabitants.
Hotels, bars, nightclubs and discotheques are closed
Cancun has 190 hotels and 37,335 rooms, but from March to April 15th, 102 lodging centers have been temporarily closed, which is equivalent to 29,505 empty rooms.
There are less than one thousand stranded tourists who are staying in downtown hotels. In the case of food & drink, more than 95% of the local restaurants have closed, an the remaining 5% operate through home delivery only.
The nautical and sport fishing sectors are totally shut down since April 1st.
The bars, casinos, nightclubs and discotheques closed as of March 13, imply the total paralysis of the tourist activity that supports more than 800 thousand inhabitants in the city.
Source: The Riviera Maya Times
more recommended stories
Merida City Council denies cases of animal abuse at the Centennial Zoo
The Mérida City Council denied that.
Man from Guanajuato found dead inside his Mérida apartment
A 46-year-old man from Guanajuato was.
Amber Alert activated for a fifteen-year-old girl missing in Merida
The whereabouts of the minor are.
The Community of Miguel Colorado — So Much More Than a Cenote
Travelling along a bumpy dirt track.
“Parque Animaya Zoo” will reopen its doors next Wednesday, May 19.
The Mérida City Council reported that.
Mérida residents protest against the use of face masks; “COVID-19 is planned”, they say
A relatively small contingency of Mérida.
History and origin of Teacher’s Day Why do we celebrate it in Mexico on May 15?
This celebration dates back to 1950.
Festival of the LGBTTTI+ Community to be held in Merida on May 16th
Mèrida, Yucatàn, (May 14, 2021).- This.
Mauricio Vila visits boxing Gym of former World champion Gilberto Keb Baas
HUNUCMÁ, YUCATAN., (May 15, 2021).- For.
Two young men go on the trail of a Douglas DC-3 plane, lost in the Yucatecan Jungle
Mèrida, Yucatàn, (May 14, 2021).- Two.