After an evaluation of 150 restaurants and 60 nominated hotels, Yucatan stood out in the first edition of Mexbest 2019, the platform that rewards the best in the sector, which for the first time merges the Gourmet Awards and Hotel Awards, and is endorsed by Travel + Leisure Mexico and Expansion Group.
In the process, eight state representatives were nominated and those who won prizes were: the restaurant Micaela Mar y Leña, in the category of the public vote (Reader’s Choice Gourmet) and Chablé Resort, in the modality of Best Wellness Program.
The restaurant led by Chef Vidal Elías Murillo and Sommelier Alberto Nacif with just one in operation, received this important recognition that diners from all over the country granted, which demonstrates the high quality of their cuisine and its contribution to gastronomic tourism in Mérida.
The ceremony took place in the Riviera Maya, where the winners of the 20 categories that make up the platform were presented. The participants were evaluated by a jury of 25 experts who traveled throughout the country to learn about the current gastronomic and hotel offer in all of Mexico.
“Our restaurant was nominated in the category of Best New Restaurant 2019, a category that speaks for itself of the great work and passion of the whole team. The mere fact of being nominated was already a great honor for us. As we were nominated along with some restaurants that we admire, such as: Magno Brasserie, Bone, Kite, Creole, Koma, etc. The most important thing is to have the vote of the public, which confirms that the place is loved by diners throughout Mexico, ”recalls Alberto Nacif excitedly.
He stressed that this is the first time that the Gourmet Awards, rewards a restaurant in this modality, outside of Mexico City, which places Yucatan among the best gastronomic tourism destinations in the country and the world.
Complete list of Mexbest 2019 winners:
TOP 10 RESTAURANTS
- Best of the Best Gourmet – Rosetta, CDMX
- Best Service – Contramar, CDMX
- Best Hotel Restaurant – La Cocinoteca, León
- Best Wine Experience – Grand Cru, Monterrey
- New Restaurant – KoMa, CDMX
- Chef Promesa – Víctor Morales, Aitana, CDMX
- Best Local Restaurant – Le Chique, Riviera Maya
- Best Regional Cuisine – Palreal, Guadalajara
- Casual Dinning – Havre77, CDMX
- Reader’s Choice Gourmet – Micaela, Mar y Leña. Mérida, Yucatán
- Best of the Best Hotel – One & Only Palmilla, San José del Cabo
TOP 10 HOTELS
- Best Wellness Program – Chablé, Mérida
- Best Sustainability Program – Rosewood Mayakoba, Riviera Maya
- Best Service – Windows to Paradise, A Rosewood Resort, San Jose del Cabo
- Family Escape – Hotel Xcaret Mexico, Riviera Maya
- Business Escape – The St. Regis Mexico City, CDMX
- Romantic Escape – The Rodavento House, Valle de Bravo
- Design and Architecture – Viceroy Los Cabos, San José del Cabo
- Gourmet Experience – The Cape, a Thompson Hotel, Cabo San Lucas
- Reader’s Choice Hotel – Hotel Xcaret Mexico, Riviera Maya
The Yucatan Times Newsroom