The Texas man accused of deliberately targeting Mexicans in a shooting spree that killed 22 people and wounded 26 others at an El Paso Walmart store pleaded not guilty on Thursday October 10th, during his first court appearance.
Patrick Crusius, 21, was indicted last month for capital murder and will face the death penalty if he is convicted, the El Paso County District Attorney Jaime Esparza said.
Crusius strolled into the courtroom trailing his two lawyers. Dressed in a navy sports jacket, white shirt, and gray slacks, he betrayed no emotion and only spoke twice, answering “yes, your honor” to Judge Sam Medrano when asked if his name was correct on the indictment, and “not guilty” when asked for his plea. He was in and out of the courtroom in about three minutes.
The Texas killings were followed just 13 hours later by a mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, where a gunman wearing body armor and a mask killed nine people and wounded 27 others before he was shot dead by police.
The back-to-back massacres sparked a political outcry, with El Paso native and Democratic Party presidential hopeful Beto O’Rourke demanding the mandatory confiscation of the assault-style rifles often used in mass shootings.
The El Paso shooting prompted powerful Texas Republicans including Governor Greg Abbott and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick to retreat somewhat on their staunch defense of gun rights.
Crusius is accused of driving 11 hours to El Paso from his hometown of Allen, near Dallas, on August 3 and firing at shoppers with an AK47 rifle inside a Walmart store. I have surrendered to officers who confronted him outside.
Crusius confessed while surrendering and told police he was targeting Mexicans, according to an El Paso police affidavit released days after the shooting. Most of those killed were Latinos.
A four-page statement believed to have been written by the suspect and posted on 8chan, an online message board often used by extremists, called the Walmart attack “a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas.”
Source: El Universal