Attorneys representing Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann and his family indicated that they have sent letters for potential lawsuits to over 50 entities ranging from Democratic politicians to celebrities to media figures.
The legal counsel representing Sandmann and his family, Todd McMurtry and experienced libel and defamation lawyer L. Lin Wood of Atlanta, have said they will seek justice for the harm allegedly done to the teen and his family, according to The Cincinnati Enquirer.
According to the legal team, this legal action is in response to “the media´s smearing” of Sandmann after a video of a the incident on January 19, 2019, went viral. The footage showed the highschool student standing face-to-face with Native American Nathan Phillips, who was beating a drum in Sandmann’s face.
Here is the letter.
Preservation Letter by on Scribd
The list of entities that letters were sent to includes:
- The Washington Post
- The New York Times
- Cable News Network, Inc. (CNN)
- The Guardian
- National Public Radio
- Atlantic Media Inc.
- Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.
- Diocese of Covington
- Diocese of Lexington
- Archdiocese of Louisville
- Diocese of Baltimore
- Ana Cabrera (CNN)
- Sara Sidner (CNN)
- Erin Burnett (CNN)
- S.E. Cupp (CNN)
- Elliot C. McLaughlin (CNN)
- Amanda Watts (CNN)
- Emanuella Grinberg (CNN)
- Michelle Boorstein (Washington Post)
- Cleve R. Wootson Jr. (Washington Post)
- Antonio Olivo (Washington Post)
- Joe Heim (Washington Post)
- Michael E. Miller (Washington Post)
- Eli Rosenberg (Washington Post)
- Isaac Stanley-Becker (Washington Post)
- Kristine Phillips (Washington Post)
- Sarah Mervosh (New York Times)
- Emily S. Rueb (New York Times)
- Maggie Haberman (New York Times)
- David Brooks (New York Times)
- Shannon Doyne
- Kurt Eichenwald
- Andrea Mitchell (NBC/MSNBC)
- Savannah Guthrie (NBC)
- Joy Reid (MSNBC)
- Chuck Todd (NBC)
- Noah Berlatsky
- Elisha Fieldstadt (NBC)
- Eun Kyung Kim
- Bill Maher
- Warner Media
- Conde Nast
- The Hill
- The Atlantic
- Ilhan Omar
- Elizabeth Warren
- Kathy Griffin
- Alyssa Milano
- Jim Carrey
None of the prior people nor companies in the list have made a comment.
The Yucatan Times