Theas sent to prison on Wednesday Feb. 27, and will wait two weeks to learn his sentence for molesting two choirboys in a Melbourne cathedral two decades ago.
Victorian state County Court Chief Judge Peter Kidd revoked Cardinal George Pell’s bail at the end of a sentencing hearing in a packed, standing room-only courtroom. Kidd said he would deliver his sentence on March 13.
The 77-year-old Pell, who could face 50 years in prison, showed no expression as he walked from the dock with a cane escorted by three court security officers and a prison guard. Pell paused at the door, turned to the judge and bowed.
He as taken by prison van from the court to the Melbourne Assessment Prison, a maximum security facility where inmates new to the state penal system are assessed. All prisoners are strip-searched on arrival and Pell, like all paedophiles, will be kept in protective custody, where he will remain alone for up to 23 hours a day.
A jury unanimously convicted Pell in December of abusing the two 13-year-olds in a rear room of St. Patrick’s Cathedral in 1996 weeks after becoming archbishop of Melbourne, Australia’s second-largest city. Pell wasn’t taken into custody immediately because he had surgery scheduled to have both knees replaced.
Pell faced an abusive crowd Wednesday as he entered court half an hour before his sentencing hearing began.
“I hope you burn in hell!” one man shouted while pushing against a cluster of police officers trying to shield the cardinal as he walked into the courthouse. “You’re a paedophile! You’re a criminal! You’re a monster!”
Pell’s lawyer Robert Richter was heckled by members of the public during the lunch break, prompting Kidd to warn people in the gallery that they could be charged with contempt of court for such behavior.
Kidd said such acts directed at Pell and Richter showed that Pell was being blamed for the sexual abuse and cover-ups within the Catholic Church recently exposed by a government-commissioned investigation into Australian institutions’ handling of abuse allegations.
“The Catholic Church is not on trial … I’m imposing sentence on Cardinal Pell for what he did,” Kidd said.
The court had until Tuesday forbidden publication of any details about the trial because Pell had faced a second trial in April on charges that he indecently assaulted two boys aged 9 or 10 and 11 or 12 as a young priest in the late 1970s in a public pool in his hometown of Ballarat. Those charges have now been dropped.
The Vatican’s response
On Wednesday, acting Vatican spokesman Alessandro Gisotti said that the Vatican office that handles sex abuse of minors has taken over the case and that the cleric was being investigated. The move was expected as the Church must conduct its own canonical investigation whenever there is a credible allegation of sex abuse.
Pope Francis removed Pell as a member of his informal Cabinet in October. He had remained prefect of the Vatican’s economy ministry, but his five-year term expired this month, Gisotti said.
The Vatican also confirmed on Tuesday that Pope Francis had implemented restrictions on Pell last year barring him from “exercising public ministry and from having any voluntary contact whatsoever with minors.”
The Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith has the power to remove Pell from the priesthood, as it did recently with former U.S. Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, who wasafter the Vatican office found him guilty of sexually abusing minors and adults.
Pell will be sentenced for five convictions of sexual penetration and indecent acts involving the boys. Each conviction carries a maximum 10-year prison term.
The judge said Pell was guilty of a breach of trust with an element of brutality and had had a sense of impunity. “I see this as callus, brazen offending – blatant,” Kidd said.
“At the time, he thought he was going to get away with it. Otherwise he wouldn’t have done it,” Kidd added.
Richter had told the jury during the trial that “only a mad man” would take the risk of sexually abusing two boys in a cathedral room with the door open and people likely to wander in.
On Wednesday, Richter described the abuse as a “temporary loss of judgement” in response to an “irresistible impulse.” Richter also argued that even if Pell was guilty of the crimes, they were simply “plain vanilla sexual penetration case where a child is not volunteering”.
Pell had, describing the accusations as “vile and disgusting conduct.” His lawyers have appealed the convictions and were scheduled to appear in the Court of Appeal on Wednesday afternoon to apply for bail. But the bail application was later withdrawn, and no date has been set for an appeal hearing.
The victim who testified at Pell’s trial said in a statement that since the conviction was revealed, he has experienced “shame, loneliness, depression and struggle.” The man said it had taken him years to understand the impact the assault had on his life.
The other victim died of a heroin overdose that his father attributed to the aftermath of the abuse. Neither victim can be named under state law.
The convictions were confirmed days after Francis concluded hissummoned to Rome for a tutorial on preventing clergy sexual abuse and protecting children from predator priests.
more recommended stories
The surprising similarities between AMLO and Jair Bolsonaro (The Economist)
Their ideologies clash, but their ways.
Abandoned puppy rescued by officers of the Public Security Secretariat (SSP)
An abandoned puppy was rescued by.
Mexico announce plan to recover the value of its native species
Mexico’s Minister of Agriculture and Rural.
84 municipalities of the Yucatan Peninsula to vote on Tren Maya Project this weekend
Residents of 84 municipalities on the.
“Noche Blanca” diverse contemporary art scene takes over the streets of Mérida tonight!
Tonight, Saturday December 14th, La Noche.
Explosion shakes Merida’s Francisco de Montejo neighborhood
MÉRIDA (Times Media Mexico).- The Public Security.
ABC says García Luna’s arrest was just a matter of time
ABC News says Mexico’s former security.
Playa Hotels & Resorts names new Vice President of Revenue Management
FT. LAUDERDALE, FL (December 13, 2019) –.
Chinese migrants found hiding in appliances at Mexico-U.S crossing
Eleven Chinese migrants were discovered hiding.
Chichén & Machu Picchu join in brotherhood
VALLADOLID (Times Media Mexico).- The union between two.