OXKUTZCAB.- Featuring Mayan buildings replicas, the Mundo Maya tourist corridor was structured in Oxkutzcab as part of the XXXIV Annual Orange Fair “Vive Nuestra Historia” (Live Our History).
Mayor Raúl Romero Chel, president of the organizing committee of the exhibition, informed that today Thursday December 6th, the fair is inaugurated and that it seeks to revive the history of Mexico, its pre-Hispanic culture, represented with regional clothing.
He said that visitors will see representations of Uxmal’s Templo del Adivino; the birth of the dwarf of Uxmal, from Sabacché, of the god of fertility from Kabah and the arch of Labná at the entrance of the fair.
“The objective of the fair is to promote agriculture, gastronomy and the surrounding tourist areas, specifucaly the archaeological sites of the Puuc Route. Oxkutzcab expects thousands of visitors to come and admire the cultural and educational wealth that few municipalities in the state have,” the mayor said.
He announced that at the Fair, which will be open from Thursday Dec. 6th to Sunday 16th, there will be guided school tours so that children about the richness and economic potential of their municipality.
- The exhibition will be inaugurated by Governor Mauricio Vila Dosal, along with other officials and mayors at 7:00 pm.
- At 7:30 pm, the group “Pok Ta’Pok (ball game) will be presented, at the Mundo Maya corridor.
- At 7:40 p.m. Iinauguration speech by Governor Vila Dosal and Mayor Romero Chel.
- At 8:00 pm, a Maya purification ceremony will be held, then the ribbon cutting and a fireworks display.
- Representatives of the 106 citrus units will carry out the coronation of the queen of the Orange Fair, Guadalupe May Ávila.
- The delegation will tour the stands of the agricultural area.
- The Yucalpetén Typical Orchestra will liven up the event.
- Feature presentaion of the regional comedian “Doña Clodo”.
- A Vaquería and a Jarana contest entertained by the orchestra of Arturo González, and Julián and his Orquesta Jaranera.
In addition to the Mundo Maya corridor, there will be a citrus exhibition, in which some 10,000 fruits will be in display, donated by 5,000 local farmers to assemble the exhibit of the 106 agricultural units of the Yucatecan “Southern Cone”.
The most anticipated event for the farmers is the contest of the sweetest orange, large and commercial in size, a very special prize is given to the producer who offers the fruit with the highest amount of Brix degrees, a parameter to measure the amount of sugar in the orange, since this is an essential factor to maintain its flavor and freshness.
On Friday Decmber the 14th, at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, a race with a cause will be held, in order to collect food for people in a vulnerable situation and scarce resources; the donations will be delivered to the voluntary group Formando Sonrisas (“Forming Smiles”).
TYT Newsroom with information from Gobierno del Estado de Yucatán
more recommended stories
With Mexico Tourism Board closing, private sector seeks promotion options
After months of speculations, the Mexico.
Municipalities of Quintana Roo committed to save the Melipona Bee
Stephane Palmieri, president of the Maya.
Public Security agents arrest 9 Colombian armed suspects in the north of Mérida
MÉRIDA, YUC.- After intense police operations.
“Get the f— out of my country.” -Video-
Once again, racism in the United.
Mexican national dies in U.S. Border Patrol custody
(Reuters) – A 45-year-old man from.
Islas Marías… from prison to tourism – AMLO –
While some applaud the decision, others.
Progreso´s tragedy… The sad aftermath
PROGRESO YUCATAN.- Pedro Alfonso López Cabrera,.
Tycoons tell AMLO that unions are ‘extorting’ businesses
(Reuters) – A group representing some.
Merida to host the World Peace Nobel Prize Summit
Mexico City and Querétaro requested the.
AMLO says he will not ‘confront’ Catholic church over sexual abuse claims
(Reuters) – Mexican President Andres Manuel.