The Natural History Museum of Utah at the Rio Tinto Center has a special exhibition, “Maya: Hidden Worlds Revealed,” which opens to the public on Saturday.
The exhibition features more than 250 authentic and rare artifacts and allows guests to encounter the Maya culture.
As visitors explore the exhibit, it’s as if it is telling the story of the ancient Mayans and their modern descendants with hands-on activities.
The in-depth look into the culture, traditions and beliefs of the ancient people is completely bilingual in English and Spanish and runs through May 27, 2019.
The nine sections of the exhibit are:
• Unlocking the Maya Past – Learn how scholars are unlocking secrets of life long ago and read inscriptions carved hundreds of years ago
• Histories on Stone – Get a sense of how to read Maya hieroglyphs carved into stone stelae
• Watching the Skies – Discover why Maya charted the 365-day solar cycle, predicted solar and lunar eclipses
• Master Builders – Maya were excellent urban planners, organizing their cities according to needs, environmental constraints and religious beliefs.
• Making a Living – See how residents produced goods like textiles, tools, jewelry or pottery for market
• Death and Rebirth – Hidden beneath the land of the living lay the underworld called Xibalba
• The Dead Tell Tales – Explorations of Maya burials tell us about the structure of Maya society and even diet and lifestyle
• A Story in Pictures – Maya artists painted walls of three small rooms in Bonampak with scenes of war and celebration
• Maya Roots Run Deep – Today’s Maya are heirs to a culture that has survived thousands of years and still exists today
The Yucatan Times Newsroom with information from https://www.sltrib.com/
more recommended stories
Owner of California car dealership beaten to death in Cabo, Mexico
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) — Prosecutors in.
5 Mexico Beaches on International Living’s World’s Best List
Most people who dream about retiring.
Mexico’s Lopez Obrador ratings slip: to 70% approval
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Mexico’s President.
Walmart will supply Central America from distribution center in Kanasín, Yucatán
The president of the National Chamber.
Cozumel east coast severely affected by tons of sargasso
The east coast of the island.
“Sun at the zenith” – Thursday in Merida: objects and people will not have a shadow
The phenomenon of the sun at.
Racist Kellyanne Conway to reporter: ―”What’s your ethnicity?”―
Kellyanne Conway prides herself on her.
Outrage over Trump’s racist tweets
WASHINGTON D.C (Agencies/CNN) – Outrage over.
Las Coloradas: The Unbelievable Pink Lakes of the Yucatan (VIDEO)
Hidden away on the tip of.
How Does Filtered Water Provide Balance to the Body?
A balance of fluids in the.