The Natural History Museum of Utah at the Rio Tinto Center has a special exhibition, “Maya: Hidden Worlds Revealed,” which opens to the public on Saturday.
The exhibition features more than 250 authentic and rare artifacts and allows guests to encounter the Maya culture.
As visitors explore the exhibit, it’s as if it is telling the story of the ancient Mayans and their modern descendants with hands-on activities.
The in-depth look into the culture, traditions and beliefs of the ancient people is completely bilingual in English and Spanish and runs through May 27, 2019.
The nine sections of the exhibit are:
• Unlocking the Maya Past – Learn how scholars are unlocking secrets of life long ago and read inscriptions carved hundreds of years ago
• Histories on Stone – Get a sense of how to read Maya hieroglyphs carved into stone stelae
• Watching the Skies – Discover why Maya charted the 365-day solar cycle, predicted solar and lunar eclipses
• Master Builders – Maya were excellent urban planners, organizing their cities according to needs, environmental constraints and religious beliefs.
• Making a Living – See how residents produced goods like textiles, tools, jewelry or pottery for market
• Death and Rebirth – Hidden beneath the land of the living lay the underworld called Xibalba
• The Dead Tell Tales – Explorations of Maya burials tell us about the structure of Maya society and even diet and lifestyle
• A Story in Pictures – Maya artists painted walls of three small rooms in Bonampak with scenes of war and celebration
• Maya Roots Run Deep – Today’s Maya are heirs to a culture that has survived thousands of years and still exists today
The Yucatan Times Newsroom with information from https://www.sltrib.com/
more recommended stories
Mexico Likely To Fall Just Short of First-Ever No. 1 Annual Ranking (FORBES)
Ken Roberts, author and FORBES collaborator,.
Outrage in Mexico over videos mocking viral feminist anthem
A series of videos have surfaced.
AMLO polarizes Mexico’s population while violence grows and economy falls (WSJ)
According to the Wall Street Journal,.
Judge blocks Trump’s favorite construction company from building private border wall
A federal judge in McAllen, Texas,.
What Is Melipona Honey, and Why Is It So Good?
Yucatán, Mexico is dense with treasures:.
Mexicans fleeing violence form new encampment on border
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — An.
Mexico says ‘good progress’ on trade deal although work remains to be done
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Negotiators working to.
Viral video shows border wall being scaled at Mexicali, Baja California
A video taken by a Mexican.
Six Carnival cruise ships have been certified as sensory-inclusive
Carnival Cruise Line is joining the.
Grupo Mexico to invest $250 million US dollars to build a wind farm in Nuevo León
The company Invenergy will be responsible.