According to the report Food Losses and Food Waste in Mexico: quantification and some proposals for public policy by the World Bank, Mexicans throw away more than 20.4 million tons of food each year.
The report, presented by Mexico’s Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), highlights that “CO2 emissions generated by the production of food that is wasted in Mexico is equivalent to the annual emissions from 14,754,584 cars (all vehicles in DF and the states of Mexico, Jalisco and Nuevo León together).”
It is estimated that 72% of food waste is generated in the first links of the production chain, from pre-harvest to distribution while the remaining 28% is generated when the food reaches both retailers and consumers.
Moreover, water used in food production resulting in food waste reaches more than 40 billion liters a figure equivalent to the water used by the country in 2.4 years. Thus, the total cost of water loss by food waste in Mexico is USD$ 7,972,007,957 per year.
Therefore, Cuauhtémoc Ochoa Fernández, Semarnat’s Undersecretary of Environmental Regulation and Promotion, announced a national strategy for waste control, focused “on reducing food waste.”
Source: El Universal
more recommended stories
Archaeological site of ‘Flor de Mayo’ in Kanasín, Yucatán to be restored by INAH
The National Institute of Anthropology and.
Cozumel welcomes “Symphony of the seas” the largest cruise ship in the world
With the arrival of the largest.
United Nations recognizes Merida as the best city to live in Mexico
Merida, Yucatan, heads the index of.
Even the State Government will join Tuesday November 13’s one-hour blackout in Mérida
The Government of the State will.
Quintana Roo’s Maya Ka’an still not able to take off as a self-sufficient, sustainable tourist destination
“Maya Ka’an, as a tourist destination,.
Fishermen of Progreso demand more surveillance against piracy
After the robbery committed in recent.
First ever artistic pedestrian crossing was painted in Mérida
In a joint effort between the.
Demand for solar energy duplicates in Yucatán
Sustainable energy through solar panels, is.
Naked, bruised and battered a woman runs to avoid being raped in eastern Mérida
“He grabbed me and threw me.
AMLO in Mérida to discuss “Tren Maya” project with governors and government secretaries
At 9 am on Monday, November.