“The Festival de las Ánimas (Festival of the Souls) 2018, which will be held from October 24 to 31, is an activity that has been consolidated year after year, promoting our identity, strengthening traditional values and positioning Mérida in the eyes of the world as an icon of culture and gastronomy”, affirmed Mayor Renán Barrera Concha.
At Mérida’s General Cemetery, Renán Barrera announced that on this occasion, among the activities included in that week the Festival del Pib, which will be held in the neighborhood of San Sebastian, on request of the local residents and that will come to enrich the conception of the municipal celebrations dedicated to the souls and the Day of the Dead.
The mayor was accompanied by the directors of Social Development, José Luis Martínez Semerena; Culture, Irving Berlin Villafaña; Economic Development and Tourism, Eduardo Seijo Solís, and Municipal Public Services, José Collado Soberanis.
In his message, the mayor recalled that 2018 marks the 10th anniversary of the first Paseo de las Ánimas, which throughout this time and thanks to the acceptance of citizens, has now become an iconic festival with activities over a week.
“This event has established us as an icon of culture, tradition and gastronomy and has given us fame beyond our borders, attracting even international media such as Discovery Channel and National Geographic” the mayor pointed out.
“With events of that kind, the City Council seeks to return to our roots and promote the city nationally and internationally, as well as strengthen pride in our identity”, he continued.
He recalled that the last edition of the Las Ánimas Festival was attended by more than 50,000 people, both locals and visitors from other parts of the country and abroad.
“Although the City Council organizes it, this is an event of the meridanos that has transcended the municipal administrations precisely because they are the ones who keep it alive through the years”, he expressed.
In his speech, Irving Berlin announced the activities of the festival which will include lectures and guided tours of the general cemetery, starting at 8pm, on Wednesday Oct. 24th.
- Thursday the 25th, photographic exhibition Centro Cultural Olimpo at 8 p.m, by Alejandro Poot
- Friday 26, Municipal Dance Center, show Mexico and its Traditions
- Saturday 27, Main Square, participation in the sample of altars organized by the state government and Noche Mexicana, at the auction of Paseo de Montejo, dedicated to the souls.
- Sunday 28, inauguration of the Festival of Flowers in Mejorada; children’s show of skulls (puppets) in Mérida in Domingo; Festival del Pib, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in San Sebastián.
- On Monday the 29th, dinner for souls in the basement of the Municipal Palace, at 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday 30, park of Colonia Sarmiento, conference of Jorge Moreno on legends and paranormal topics, at 8 p.m,
- Wednesday 31, Paseo de las ánimas, that will start at 6 o’clock in the afternoon with the march from San Juan to the General Cemetery.
TYT Newsroom with information from larevista.com.mx