In the film Finding Nemo, from the Disney production house, ‘Jaques’ plays the role of a cleaner shrimp from the Pacific, which is not far from the true Caribbean boxer shrimp, the species Stenopus hispidus or banded boxing prawn.
An inhabitant of the deep seas of Cozumel, this species habitat extends all the way down to Brazil and is mostly known as banded, scavenging shrimp, an omnivorous species that feeds mostly on parasites and dead tissue.
According to specialists, they have been able to observe that fish with parasites go to “cleaning stations” in the reefs. There, certain species of fish and several species of cleaning animals come in large numbers to help the infested fish, which can even enter the mouth and even into the gill cavity, without being eaten.
The Stenopus hispidus is monogamous that is to say that it lives with a single partner all of its life and it is a very territorial creature also. Precisely his offensive-defensive attitude of throwing his claws at the aggressor, has earned him the common name of boxer shrimp.
To know more:
Species: S. hispidus
10 things you did not know about the Caribbean shrimp
1. Renews its entire body every 3 or 4 weeks approximately.
2. Only the male goes out in search of food.
3. The female waits for the male, and then allows him to take part of the food obtained.
4. They use a very visual courtship ritual that lasts several hours.
5. The female can save the sperm for future fertilizations.
6. The females carry the eggs under the abdomen.
7. It is very sensitive to changes in saline density and pH.
8. It prefers to live in caves that allow him to take refuge.
9. It prefers to lie face down as his natural resting position.
10. It is wanted by other species for cleaning actions.
more recommended stories
Valladolid is awaiting more tourists in the coming months
“Events like the Gastroonomic fair, the.
Real estate sector in Mexico forsees slow growth in 2019
2019 begins and several factors, including.
Don Antonio Marín quintessential Merida’s Master of Ceremonies dies at 85
On Wednesday January 16, 85-year-old professor.
Death toll reaches 85 in HIdalgo’s fuel pipeline fire
TLAHUELILPAN, Mexico (AP) — People in.
Vaqueria: a reminiscent of the “town festivities of the XVII Century
Sustainable, self sufficient supply of water for the Tourism Industry in the Yucatan
Water scarcity is growing globally with.
Machinery catches fire in Progreso’s plastics factory
A plastic melting machine caught fire.
Yucatan and New York, united by Jazz
With the aim of spreading rhythms.
Yucatecan child will receive medical attention in the US
A 3 year-old child from the.
Aeroméxico and Aeroflot sign a codeshare agreement
Mexico, January 16 (Notimex).- Aeromexico informed.