In the film Finding Nemo, from the Disney production house, ‘Jaques’ plays the role of a cleaner shrimp from the Pacific, which is not far from the true Caribbean boxer shrimp, the species Stenopus hispidus or banded boxing prawn.
An inhabitant of the deep seas of Cozumel, this species habitat extends all the way down to Brazil and is mostly known as banded, scavenging shrimp, an omnivorous species that feeds mostly on parasites and dead tissue.
According to specialists, they have been able to observe that fish with parasites go to “cleaning stations” in the reefs. There, certain species of fish and several species of cleaning animals come in large numbers to help the infested fish, which can even enter the mouth and even into the gill cavity, without being eaten.
The Stenopus hispidus is monogamous that is to say that it lives with a single partner all of its life and it is a very territorial creature also. Precisely his offensive-defensive attitude of throwing his claws at the aggressor, has earned him the common name of boxer shrimp.
To know more:
Species: S. hispidus
10 things you did not know about the Caribbean shrimp
1. Renews its entire body every 3 or 4 weeks approximately.
2. Only the male goes out in search of food.
3. The female waits for the male, and then allows him to take part of the food obtained.
4. They use a very visual courtship ritual that lasts several hours.
5. The female can save the sperm for future fertilizations.
6. The females carry the eggs under the abdomen.
7. It is very sensitive to changes in saline density and pH.
8. It prefers to live in caves that allow him to take refuge.
9. It prefers to lie face down as his natural resting position.
10. It is wanted by other species for cleaning actions.
more recommended stories
Festival de las Animas Mérida 2021, from October 24th to November 2nd
Mérida, Yucatán, (October 19, 2021).- At.
Great discovery in Yucatan! Underground connection between a cenote and a cave
Nine marine species and cave paintings.
John Kerry, US Climate Representative, defends clean energy before AMLO´s electric reform
“The move to a clean economy.
Quintana Roo Hotels lose half of their guests to Airbnb
Entrepreneurs from the south of the.
Relatives of María José fear that she has been a victim of femicide in northern Mérida neighborhood
Despite the fact that yesterday it.
According to Coneval, poverty in Yucatan increased by 26.6% in 2 years
Mérida, Yucatán, (Ocober 18, 2021).- In.
“Sharing” a new trend in housing in Mexico and around the world
Today, sharing in the home has been strongly positioned, which.
900-year-old sword found on the Mediterranean seafloor
An Israeli amateur diver found a.
Monday 18th, less than 200 Covid infections and low number of hospitalized in Yucatan
Coronavirus infections are on the decline.
Tourist dies after falling from a sixth floor in a residential complex in Cancun
Cancun, Quintana Roo, (October 19, 2021).-.