In the film Finding Nemo, from the Disney production house, ‘Jaques’ plays the role of a cleaner shrimp from the Pacific, which is not far from the true Caribbean boxer shrimp, the species Stenopus hispidus or banded boxing prawn.
An inhabitant of the deep seas of Cozumel, this species habitat extends all the way down to Brazil and is mostly known as banded, scavenging shrimp, an omnivorous species that feeds mostly on parasites and dead tissue.
According to specialists, they have been able to observe that fish with parasites go to “cleaning stations” in the reefs. There, certain species of fish and several species of cleaning animals come in large numbers to help the infested fish, which can even enter the mouth and even into the gill cavity, without being eaten.
The Stenopus hispidus is monogamous that is to say that it lives with a single partner all of its life and it is a very territorial creature also. Precisely his offensive-defensive attitude of throwing his claws at the aggressor, has earned him the common name of boxer shrimp.
To know more:
Species: S. hispidus
10 things you did not know about the Caribbean shrimp
1. Renews its entire body every 3 or 4 weeks approximately.
2. Only the male goes out in search of food.
3. The female waits for the male, and then allows him to take part of the food obtained.
4. They use a very visual courtship ritual that lasts several hours.
5. The female can save the sperm for future fertilizations.
6. The females carry the eggs under the abdomen.
7. It is very sensitive to changes in saline density and pH.
8. It prefers to live in caves that allow him to take refuge.
9. It prefers to lie face down as his natural resting position.
10. It is wanted by other species for cleaning actions.
more recommended stories
Cozumel welcomes “Symphony of the seas” the largest cruise ship in the world
With the arrival of the largest.
United Nations recognizes Merida as the best city to live in Mexico
Merida, Yucatan, heads the index of.
Even the State Government will join Tuesday November 13’s one-hour blackout in Mérida
The Government of the State will.
Quintana Roo’s Maya Ka’an still not able to take off as a self-sufficient, sustainable tourist destination
“Maya Ka’an, as a tourist destination,.
Fishermen of Progreso demand more surveillance against piracy
After the robbery committed in recent.
First ever artistic pedestrian crossing was painted in Mérida
In a joint effort between the.
Demand for solar energy duplicates in Yucatán
Sustainable energy through solar panels, is.
Naked, bruised and battered a woman runs to avoid being raped in eastern Mérida
“He grabbed me and threw me.
AMLO in Mérida to discuss “Tren Maya” project with governors and government secretaries
At 9 am on Monday, November.
Brother of the North Mérida agressor threatens victim’s relative with death
The profound indignation that the attack.