In the film Finding Nemo, from the Disney production house, ‘Jaques’ plays the role of a cleaner shrimp from the Pacific, which is not far from the true Caribbean boxer shrimp, the species Stenopus hispidus or banded boxing prawn.
An inhabitant of the deep seas of Cozumel, this species habitat extends all the way down to Brazil and is mostly known as banded, scavenging shrimp, an omnivorous species that feeds mostly on parasites and dead tissue.
According to specialists, they have been able to observe that fish with parasites go to “cleaning stations” in the reefs. There, certain species of fish and several species of cleaning animals come in large numbers to help the infested fish, which can even enter the mouth and even into the gill cavity, without being eaten.
The Stenopus hispidus is monogamous that is to say that it lives with a single partner all of its life and it is a very territorial creature also. Precisely his offensive-defensive attitude of throwing his claws at the aggressor, has earned him the common name of boxer shrimp.
To know more:
Species: S. hispidus
10 things you did not know about the Caribbean shrimp
1. Renews its entire body every 3 or 4 weeks approximately.
2. Only the male goes out in search of food.
3. The female waits for the male, and then allows him to take part of the food obtained.
4. They use a very visual courtship ritual that lasts several hours.
5. The female can save the sperm for future fertilizations.
6. The females carry the eggs under the abdomen.
7. It is very sensitive to changes in saline density and pH.
8. It prefers to live in caves that allow him to take refuge.
9. It prefers to lie face down as his natural resting position.
10. It is wanted by other species for cleaning actions.
more recommended stories
25 year-old man choked to death in restaurant in northern Merida
A young man, 25 years old,.
Enjoy the ‘Paseo Navideño de las Flores’ with new venues in Yucatán
As part of the free options.
Yucatan, the state with the second highest number of active Covid cases
Yucatan has the second highest number.
Volaris cancels departure of flight to Mexico City from Merida airport
Shortly before 10:00 a.m., Volaris personnel.
Motorcyclists skid on Merida’s Periferico and narrowly escape death
This Friday morning, two motorcyclists who.
Motorcycle taxi driver who raped a 13-year-old boy in Yucatan, finally received sentence
After three years have passed since.
Yucatecan businessmen continue to reinforce their confidence to invest and generate jobs in the state
Yucatecan businessmen contribute to continue driving.
Weapon seized on Merida college campus
A heavy security operation was set.
Accelerated increase of Covid-19 in Yucatan could favor the risk of a double epidemic
In Yucatan there is a high.
Renan Barrera inaugurates training and digital inclusion classroom for seniors
In an atmosphere of joy for.