The ancient Maya city of Xlapak flourished between 750 AD. and 950 AD in a small valley 3 kilometers west of Labná. Its buildings, although sober, indicate the presence of a dominant lineage that controlled the agricultural resources of the region, as well as the surrounding rainforest.
It is possible that these resources were not only used in the settlement, but were also sent to the nearby cities of Labná, Sayil and possibly even Uxmal, which at that time was the capital of the Puuc region.
It is probable that this small community was founded during the years of the Puuc plenitude that occurred between 750 AD. and 950 AD
- In order to produce 1,000 kg of lime, the Mayans had to burn 150 green trees.
- Xlapak was discovered by Archaeologist Theobert Maer in 1902, 116 years ago.
- The palace of Xlapak has 17 masks on its facade.
- About 1206 coating stones were needed to construct a quarter of a standard size.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The most fertile soils of the entire Yucatan Peninsula are in the Puuc zone.
- The rain was the main source of water for the Mayans of the Puuc region, because in this area there are no superficial bodies of water.
- The Mayans did not use metals.
- All the construction materials were transported on the back of men.
It stands out for the sobriety of its forms, the sets are small courtyards that house masonry constructions of several rooms known as palaces. Like other buildings of the classical Puuc style, the ornamentation is concentrated on the upper part of the constructions and is rarely present in the lower part.
In spite of its austere forms, the symmetry of its designs is outstanding. These characteristics can be observed in the building known simply as El Palacio, where towers of masks of the god Chaak alternate with staggered and found frets that are thought to be stylizations of the masks of the god of rain.
more recommended stories
Governor showcases economic panorama of Yucatan to ambassadors
The competitive advantages of the State,.
Cancun expects half a million tourists for Holy Week and Easter
The holiday season of Holy Week.
American builds wall on a beach in Yucatan
While the US president, Donald Trump,.
Social media users mock foreigners who criticized Mexican candy
Social media users mercilessly mocked consumers.
AMLO’s Maya Train… All Aboard!
On December 16, two weeks after.
PPG Completes First COLORFUL COMMUNITIES Project in Yucatan
Founded in 1883 as Pittsburgh Plate.
Safe medication for your pet
To medicate your pet, especially with.
Prefer Essay Writing Services To Eliminate Academic Troubles
Writing essays are not an easy.
Shipyards of Progreso, Yucatán: fifty years building boats
The shipyards of the industrial zone.
IKEA to open stores in Mexico’s major cities
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – IKEA is.