The ancient Maya city of Xlapak flourished between 750 AD. and 950 AD in a small valley 3 kilometers west of Labná. Its buildings, although sober, indicate the presence of a dominant lineage that controlled the agricultural resources of the region, as well as the surrounding rainforest.
It is possible that these resources were not only used in the settlement, but were also sent to the nearby cities of Labná, Sayil and possibly even Uxmal, which at that time was the capital of the Puuc region.
It is probable that this small community was founded during the years of the Puuc plenitude that occurred between 750 AD. and 950 AD
- In order to produce 1,000 kg of lime, the Mayans had to burn 150 green trees.
- Xlapak was discovered by Archaeologist Theobert Maer in 1902, 116 years ago.
- The palace of Xlapak has 17 masks on its facade.
- About 1206 coating stones were needed to construct a quarter of a standard size.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The most fertile soils of the entire Yucatan Peninsula are in the Puuc zone.
- The rain was the main source of water for the Mayans of the Puuc region, because in this area there are no superficial bodies of water.
- The Mayans did not use metals.
- All the construction materials were transported on the back of men.
It stands out for the sobriety of its forms, the sets are small courtyards that house masonry constructions of several rooms known as palaces. Like other buildings of the classical Puuc style, the ornamentation is concentrated on the upper part of the constructions and is rarely present in the lower part.
In spite of its austere forms, the symmetry of its designs is outstanding. These characteristics can be observed in the building known simply as El Palacio, where towers of masks of the god Chaak alternate with staggered and found frets that are thought to be stylizations of the masks of the god of rain.
more recommended stories
Progreso, Yucatan will have a floating water park in front of the International Malecón
Very soon Progreso will have a.
Everything ready for the Environmental Forum Expo in Mérida
The president of the Merida Chamber.
Official! This is the date of Daddy Yankee’s concert in Cancun
Daddy Yankee’s concert already has a.
They explore the subsoil of the Great Plaza of Chichén Itzá with geophysical techniques
The Ministry of Culture of the.
The body of a man in an advanced state of decomposition found in Mérida
On Thursday, May 12th, the body.
Debanhi suffered sexual abuse before she died, reveals new autopsy
The case of Debanhi Escobar takes.
Yucatan State Government will grant credits to finance sustainable practices
The call is addressed to Micro,.
Living Legends closed its tour on Friday the 13th at Teatro de Cancún
The acclaimed dance group from Brigham.
Two accidents in less than a week involving police vehicles in Oxkutzcab, Yucatán
It must be remembered that last.
A man sees his injured son and suffers a fatal heart attack in Oxkutzcab
On Wednesday Eufracio “N”, 44, lost.