Some readers have asked us to dedicate some post to Cuban food. To do this, we asked one of our collaborators of Cuban ancestry to do us the favor of sharing a recipe with us. For the above, he called the big guns and his grand mother, Doña Olga Hernández, shared with us an old family recipe, from Santiago de Cuba, with a slightly strange name: Jigote.
The ingredients to prepare the jigote are:
- 1 medium hen
- 4 boiled eggs
1 or 2 sprigs of parsley
2 liters of water
1 or 2 coriander leaf
1/8 teaspoon of sweet pepper
1 minced sweet pepper
1 teaspoon of salt (well-filled)
2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves
2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil
Roasted oregano to your taste
- Place the already cleaned and washed hen to cook in boiling water with oregano and pepper. Cook until a broth.
- When the hen its cooked and the broth ready, remove and bone it, separating the breast and leaving it inside the broth to maintain a spongy texture.
- In a separate pan put the tablespoons of oil to fry. Pre-heat the oil a little and then add the chopped sweet pepper, along with the crushed garlic cloves, and the cut parsley.
- Fry for a couple of minutes and remove from the fire.
- Remove the breast from the broth and strain the chicken broth, placing it back in the fire.
- Add the fried contents —sofrito— we had reserved in the pan, into the broth. We also add the cilantro leaf and salt to your taste.
- Finally add the meat of the breast well chopped or grounded. Let cook for about ten – fifteen minutes watching the level of the broth to finally we remove from the fire.
- Serve the Jigote soup adding to the dish pieces of toasted or fried bread and the hard-boiled eggs chopped.
There are many differences between the culinary traditions of Santiago de Cuba, —Cuba in general— and Havana. Although there is a common history, the eastern Cuba regions have received a greater influence from the Caribbean, due to the smuggling days of pirates, making their cuisine peculiar and unique, enriched by centuries of immigration from neighboring islands such as Dominicana and Haiti, before the Revolution.
Doña Olga Hernandez is an 84 year old mom, grandmother, great grandmother and AMAZING cook!
The Yucatan Times
more recommended stories
Lucha libre wrestlers struggle to survive amid virus
Few of Mexico’s cultural traditions have.
What will happen to TikTok after Trump’s ban?
The United States will restrict the.
Intellectuals demand that López Obrador not attack freedom of expression. He strikes back at them.
More than 650 intellectuals demanded that.
Ruth Bader Ginsberg Dies, US Election Changes Course
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg,.
Seizures of fentanyl drug up 465% in Mexico
MEXICO CITY (The Associated Press) —.
Gabriel Quadri invokes “TUMOR” All united against Morena
Former presidential candidate Gabriel Quadri all.
Residents of Valladolid take justice on their own hand
VALLADOLID.— Tired that several robberies have.
He went in search of the “American Dream” and now his family tries to repatriate his remains
Like many young people in southern.
American citizen caught smuggling 13,000 rounds of ammo into Mexico
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Mexican.
Cancun’s Equity Park: a project of inclusion and environmental consciousness
The Strategic Projects Agency ( Agepro ) of Quintana Roo presented this.