The beach has already been reduced by 15 meters due to the erosion by ocean currents….
PROGRESO — In less than a year, 15 meters of beach have been lost at kilometer 32 of the Chicxulub-Telchac Puerto coastal highway and, in addition, erosion threatens several summer properties due to the unstoppable advance of the sea.
The watchmen of the summer houses and managers of condominiums said that until last year there was a little more than 20 meters of beach on that stretch. But the erosion was advancing slowly, they indicated, and each day the beach was reducing as the sea “ate” the meter-and-a-half of height of the dunes, so that they were extinguished.
On a tour, it was observed that in the area near Telchac Puerto, after San Bruno, the erosion of the beach was intensified by the effects of the tropical cyclones that recently hit the coasts of the United States.
Owners of affected houses and condominiums take measures and hire experts to do work to stop the advance of the sea and recover the coast. On Monday, October 30, during a trip, the erosion of the beach was observed at kilometer 11 of the Chicxulub-Uauymitún highway.
On that occasion, it was observed that the erosion affects at least four properties in that area of Uaymitún, and that due to the swells the stairsteps of a house collapsed.
Last August, Governor Rolando Zapata Bello and other officials traveled almost one kilometer from the 10 km strip of Chicxulub Puerto where the beach was filled, in order to recover almost 25 meters from the coast. On that occasion it was said that the beach rescue began in 2015 with resources from the state and federal governments.
That same month, Dr. Christian Appendini Albrechtsen, of the UNAM, said that for thousands of years erosion in Yucatan has caused the sand to settle in front of Celestun and that there are no constructions on the beach.
Leave a Comment