The White City is expected to close the year with the arrival of 1.4 million visitors…
MERIDA – This year’s arrival of visitors has been “historic” as it is expected to close the year with 1.4 million tourists, which means a growth of 16% compared to last year.
The city’s Director of Tourism and Economic Promotion, Carolina Cárdenas Sosa, reported that due to the various activities that have been carried out in the framework of the appointment of Merida American Capital of Culture, the number of tourists has been higher than in 2016, when tourism grew by two percent.
“Each year we close with one million 250 thousand tourists but this year it is expected to close with one million 400 thousand, so we have a 16% growth, considering a huge percentage compared to the previous year,” he explained.
Between 2015 and 2016 in Mérida there were 10,170 more tourists and this year at the end of September there were 136,000, of which 80% is national tourism and the other 20% are international tourists.
He explained that the increase is due to the widespread dissemination of Merida as the American Capital of Culture, so “everybody is hearing about this city more than other years.”
He also mentioned that 2018 also augurs positive in the matter due to the various events that will be held for the celebration of the 476 years of the founding of Mérida, in addition to the Filux Festival of the Lights, which will be held from January 4 to 7 , the accomplishment of the marathon and the elaboration of the Southeast’s Largest “Rosca de Reyes” (Christmas Bread), that will take place Jan. 5.
more recommended stories
Tulum’s “Art With Me” Festival instantly becomes a world class event (FORBES.com)
Sunbathing on the beach in Tulum,.
Beautiful Costa Mujeres needs to be at the top of your travel bucket list
For many, a Mexican getaway consists.
Despite safety and security concerns, Cancun remains # 1 tourist destination in Latinamerica
Cancun maintained its position as the.
600 new police for Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum Quintana Roo
According to riviera-maya-news.com, approximately 600 new.
Teen jogger who accidentally crossed U.S. border from Canada is detained for two weeks
A teenager out for a beachside.
Grand Finale of the 2018 Merida Initiative National Mock Trial Competition for Mexican Law Students
Mexico City, 21 June, 2018 –.
Three time NBA Champion Klay Thompson charters plane to Mexico full of IG models
Three-time champion Klay Thompson is in.
Mexico’s soccer national team mental coach is transforming mindsets nationwide
Though the spotlight is always on.
Maya sacred book “Chilam Balam Tekax” astrological predictions analyzed by INAH experts
The first specialized integral study of.
Prisma Hotel Group announces investment of 357 million for remodeling hotels nationwide
With the objective of always providing.