Yucatán’s capital city we all know and love received top honors from Travel + Leisure magazine this week. Named number 7 out of 10 of the ‘Top Cities in Mexico & Central & South America’, Mérida received a score of 85.67.
Each year Travel + Leisure readers participate in naming their top cities for the T+L World’s Best Awards. Weighing in on everything from landmarks, historic icons, friendliness, outdoor adventure, cuisine, accommodations, and more, readers share their favorite cities and travel experiences across the globe.
Half of this year’s top urban centers were located in Mexico. I am extremely happy to see that my home away from home destination city made the list. Three key ingredients make up charming places – People, pride, and respect, all which Mérida possess. The unexpected romance of this city of modern conveniences, historic depth, and its proximity to whisper breezes on unspoiled beaches along the northwestern shores of the Yucatán, provide something magical. Genuine hellos, expansive hidden courtyards and afternoon pastries are simply charming.
What is not to love about Mérida? From haciendas to cenote tours, and world-class cuisine to Mayan heritage, this city embraces with a warmth unlike any other.
A few of my Favorite Things while visiting Mérida?
- Jazz on the rooftop of Rosas & Xocolate
- Cenote Tour with YucatanCenote.com
- Climb the Pyramids at Uxmal
- Tour the Cathedral and Zócalo
- Enjoy Fresh Mussels at Rosa Sur
- Visit Malahat Speakeasy for a late night cocktail
- Get Invited to a Wedding at Hacienda Dzibikak
- Sip Coffee at the Top of Ancient Ruins at Hacienda Itzincab Cámara
- Enjoy dinner at Ixi’im, organic and seasonal cuisine sourced from on-site traditional Maya Gardens at Chablé.
- Visit Sisal Beach and take a Chalana Tour to see the Flamingos.
- Enjoy a Xocolate Experience massage with a drizzled chocolate wrap and rose sugar scrub at Rosas & Xocolate.
- Learn or watch traditional dancing in Santa Lucia Square on Thursday Nights
- Enjoy a Mayan coffee at La Chaya Maya
- Bike or Walk Paseo de Montejo for “La Bici Ruta” on Sunday mornings.
- Enjoy French Cheese at Cafe Creme
Read The Top 10 Cities in Mexico & Central & South America from Travel & Leisure:
Explore More Yucatan Experience Ideas @ Yucatán Travel: http://www.yucatan.travel/
By Miranda Allfrey Murry for TYT
Miranda Allfrey Murry is a travel, health & lifestyle writer, cancer survivor, and speaker. Her captivating storytelling adds magic to destinations, cuisine, experiences, products, culture, and health. With a global awareness and passion for life & cloudsurfing (aka flying), she is the perfect brand ambassador. To learn how she can help your company surf to the top, click here: Work with Miranda.
more recommended stories
Cold front No 29 will affect Quintana Roo
Fresh winds and a partially cloudy.
White House economic adviser recognices: “Shutdown damage is worse than initially estimated”
WASHINGTON D.C.-The U.S. economy is taking.
Fake editions of The Washington Post handed out in D.C. -Video-
Activists distributed hundreds of fake “special.
AMLO´s Government Debuts in Global Markets With Debt Issuance Of 2,000 Million Dollars
MEXICO (Bloomberg).- Lopez Obrador´s new government.
Hondurans form a new US-bound caravan
Another caravan of Central American migrants.
According to trial witness, “El Chapo” wanted to direct film about his own life
According to Yahoo News, Joaquin “El.
Alarming Aluminum consumption levels in Yucatan
Yucatan Scientific Research Center (CICY) researchers.
Fonatur (Fondo Nacional de Promoción Turística) in bankruptcy
The National Fund for Tourism Promotion.
Pentagon extends mission to Mexico border through September
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. military.
‘El Chapo’ paid former Mexican president Peña Nieto $100 million bribe: trial witness
Jan 15 (Reuters) – Accused Mexican.