Yucatán’s capital city we all know and love received top honors from Travel + Leisure magazine this week. Named number 7 out of 10 of the ‘Top Cities in Mexico & Central & South America’, Mérida received a score of 85.67.
Each year Travel + Leisure readers participate in naming their top cities for the T+L World’s Best Awards. Weighing in on everything from landmarks, historic icons, friendliness, outdoor adventure, cuisine, accommodations, and more, readers share their favorite cities and travel experiences across the globe.
Half of this year’s top urban centers were located in Mexico. I am extremely happy to see that my home away from home destination city made the list. Three key ingredients make up charming places – People, pride, and respect, all which Mérida possess. The unexpected romance of this city of modern conveniences, historic depth, and its proximity to whisper breezes on unspoiled beaches along the northwestern shores of the Yucatán, provide something magical. Genuine hellos, expansive hidden courtyards and afternoon pastries are simply charming.
What is not to love about Mérida? From haciendas to cenote tours, and world-class cuisine to Mayan heritage, this city embraces with a warmth unlike any other.
A few of my Favorite Things while visiting Mérida?
- Jazz on the rooftop of Rosas & Xocolate
- Cenote Tour with YucatanCenote.com
- Climb the Pyramids at Uxmal
- Tour the Cathedral and Zócalo
- Enjoy Fresh Mussels at Rosa Sur
- Visit Malahat Speakeasy for a late night cocktail
- Get Invited to a Wedding at Hacienda Dzibikak
- Sip Coffee at the Top of Ancient Ruins at Hacienda Itzincab Cámara
- Enjoy dinner at Ixi’im, organic and seasonal cuisine sourced from on-site traditional Maya Gardens at Chablé.
- Visit Sisal Beach and take a Chalana Tour to see the Flamingos.
- Enjoy a Xocolate Experience massage with a drizzled chocolate wrap and rose sugar scrub at Rosas & Xocolate.
- Learn or watch traditional dancing in Santa Lucia Square on Thursday Nights
- Enjoy a Mayan coffee at La Chaya Maya
- Bike or Walk Paseo de Montejo for “La Bici Ruta” on Sunday mornings.
- Enjoy French Cheese at Cafe Creme
Read The Top 10 Cities in Mexico & Central & South America from Travel & Leisure:
Explore More Yucatan Experience Ideas @ Yucatán Travel: http://www.yucatan.travel/
By Miranda Allfrey Murry for TYT
Miranda Allfrey Murry is a travel, health & lifestyle writer, cancer survivor, and speaker. Her captivating storytelling adds magic to destinations, cuisine, experiences, products, culture, and health. With a global awareness and passion for life & cloudsurfing (aka flying), she is the perfect brand ambassador. To learn how she can help your company surf to the top, click here: Work with Miranda.
more recommended stories
Teen jogger who accidentally crossed U.S. border from Canada is detained for two weeks
A teenager out for a beachside.
Grand Finale of the 2018 Merida Initiative National Mock Trial Competition for Mexican Law Students
Mexico City, 21 June, 2018 –.
Three time NBA Champion Klay Thompson charters plane to Mexico full of IG models
Three-time champion Klay Thompson is in.
Mexico’s soccer national team mental coach is transforming mindsets nationwide
Though the spotlight is always on.
Maya sacred book “Chilam Balam Tekax” astrological predictions analyzed by INAH experts
The first specialized integral study of.
Prisma Hotel Group announces investment of 357 million for remodeling hotels nationwide
With the objective of always providing.
Trump’s ‘Tent Cities’: where unaccompanied minors are kept in South Texas
According to Esquire: Beyond the moral and.
“Mayas y Piratas” Festival in Chetumal
The Bay of Chetumal will host.
The current ESAY premises will be turned into the new University of the Arts
“The transformation of the Higher School.
Growth in tourism is expected in Valladolid during the summer holiday season
After carrying out various promotional activities,.