Home NewsPeninsulaBeach Communities Calm restored in Celestun after violent protests

Calm restored in Celestun after violent protests

by Yucatan Times
1 comment

Where is the mayor?

CELESTUN — After the violent dispute recorded between the night of Friday May 19 and the first hours of Saturday May 20, peace seems to be returning to Celestun.

A  dialogue was established between a committee of residents and the Secretary General of Yucatan Government, Roberto Rodríguez Asaf, resulting in the release of residents who were arrested and consigned to the Attorney General’s Office.

(Photo: Google)

(Photo: Google)

On Sunday May 21, at 4 pm, the remaining eight residents of Celestun who were arrested in the dispute of Friday night in the Celestun Mayor’s Office, were released, said David Duarte Chay, member of the committee of inhabitants of Celestun that met with the government .

He also said that they do not know where the mayor has been since the SSP rescued him Saturday morning from the Municipal Palace, adding that they will make the legal process to request his removal and that they will not give up with this petition.

Among those arrested and allegedly beaten by the police were Reyna Dzul Chan, who is pregnant, and Pedro Barrera, who suffered a wound in one foot and had to be moved to Hospital O’Horan in Merida to be attended.

Duarte Chay was interviewed by phone when he was on his way to Merida to a new meeting with the secretary to discuss the case of Irene Vianey Flores Cauich and Jolitse Balderas Pech, who are alleged to have filed lawsuits for having participated in last Friday’s protest.

“The prosecutor told us yesterday that there was no charges against them, but in the port, until last night there was people traveling in a white vehicle who asked for them. In addition, according to Irene Flores, they have received threats on their cell phone, which makes them fear for their safety.

For today and Thursday new meetings were scheduled with the state official to seek a way out of the conflict that is being experienced.

According to the interviewees, after the uncomfortable calm that was experienced until Sunday afternoon in Celestun by the police station, the situation began to normalize in the evening, when the SSP Special Forces withdrew.

According to Duarte Chay, elements of the SSP restricted the access to downtown all day on Saturday May 20 at dawn, and reopened it on Sunday May 21 at afternoon.

Since Sunday May 21 night only 150 police officers remain guarding the Municipal Palace. On the other hand, Duarte Chay indicated that in the talks with Rodríguez Asaf citizens have made it clear that the community’s demand of resignation of the mayor, Leonel Rosado Mena, and the other members of the Celestun council will not stop.

At the moment, the City Council remains headless, although basic services such as security and drinking water continue to be provided.

The interviewee said that in the community the situation is already normal and that the tourism sector carries out its activities as usual. Visitors can see the tourist attractions and go to restaurants in the normal way.

Source: yucatan.com.mx

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Our Company

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consect etur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis.


Laest News

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
Update Required Flash plugin