Are you engaged and considering a destination wedding? Mexico has long been an inviting place, and Cancun ranks among the top destination wedding locations in the world. However, there is a new trend replacing sandy beaches with lush landscapes and expansive gardens. The haciendas in and around Mérida, Yucatán, are the newest “it” destination, and here is why.
Romance – Haciendas are undeniably breathtaking, with each offering unique features and design, full of charm and fairytale backdrops. I haven’t seen anything quite like them. The venues could be compared to a Southern style plantation with a tropical feeling and deep connection to a mysterious flirtation of romance.
- Affordable – The U.S. Dollar buys approximately 20 pesos, making a dream wedding financially feasible. Catered food and drink could be a quarter of the cost that you would spend in the United States.
- Experience – Mérida was named the 2017 Cultural Capital of the Americas. This city of romance, culture, food, and history is one of a kind in the Yucatán Peninsula, offering you and your guests multiple options for entertainment. From relaxation to nightlife to ancient ruins, this area has it all.
- Safety – The Yucatán is the safest state in Mexico. If I feel comfortable walking centro (downtown) alone in a place I don’t fluently speak the language, it says a lot about a city. Mérida is safe for your guests, and the security of the haciendas is impeccable.
- Celebration – The newest trend in weddings, “hacienda takeovers” – cocktail parties on Friday, wedding on Saturday, and pool party on Sunday. The entire venue is rented for an entire weekend to extend the celebration, creating more fun for your guests.
- Privacy – Haciendas add a unique style and flavor to your wedding day. Typically only one wedding a weekend (often week) is offered, providing you an intimate location to say “I do”. The alternative could be saying your vows as one of fourteen weddings beachside at a Cancun hotel. Couples are asking for the privacy and space to create their perfect day, exactly what a hacienda offers.
- Accessibility – Whether flying into Cancun and arranging transportation to Mérida, or flying directly into Mérida, there are many options, making it easy for your guests to attend your special day. TIP: If you are renting a car in Mérida, use Xootrip. Ask for Laura, she is the best! It is the only rental service I use. There is also an air conditioned bus (ADO), offering to transport from Cancun to Mérida.
As I have recently become engaged, I am scouting for my perfect location. We are considering a destination wedding, and with my love for the Yucatán, it would be no surprise if we exchanged vows in this sacred place I call my second home. So what venues have caught my eye?
Perhaps there will be a followup article showcasing the venue I choose, and the experiences we invite our guests to. Until then, happy wedding planning. And if you need ideas in and around Mérida, drop me a line.
By Miranda Allfrey for TYT
Miranda Allfrey is a travel, health & lifestyle writer, cancer survivor, and speaker. Her captivating storytelling adds magic to destinations, cuisine, experiences, products, culture, and health. With a global awareness and passion for life & cloudsurfing (aka flying), she is the perfect brand ambassador. To learn how she can help your company surf to the top, click here: Work with Miranda.
more recommended stories
Mexico is looking for ways to reduce its dependency on U.S. natural gas imports
According to Oilprice.com, one of the.
German gunmaker Heckler & Koch fined for illegal gun sales to Mexico
A German court has handed suspended.
Prominent environmental activist murdered in Morelos, Mexico
A prominent environmental activist who opposed.
Is Lopez Obrador helping Donald Trump? (Az Central)
President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador campaigned to.
What Spring Breakers need to know about the U.S. government’s Mexico Travel Advisory
The United States government is warning.
AMLO to help “El Chapo” family seek US humanitarian visas
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.
Frozen strawberry shipment from Mexico contained $12.7 million USD worth of meth
A commercial shipment of frozen strawberries.
Club Sibarita: A national gastronomic encounter in Yucatán
Jean Philippe Guillot, co-founder of the.
Historic Canadian investment for Southern Quintana Roo
TORONTO (CGC).– Quintana Roo´s governor Carlos.
Mexico’s National Guard unanimously approved by Senate (it won’t be military-led)
(Reuters) – On Thursday February 21st,.