1. Mexico means “In the navel of the Moon” and comes from Nahuatl “Metztli” (moon) and “xictli” (navel).
2. We have a population of 122.3 million inhabitants. 48% are men, 52% are women, in a surface of 1.973 million km² (741,3161 million miles²). It borders to the north with the United States, to the south with Guatemala and Belize, to the east it borders with the Gulf of Mexico and to the west with the Pacific Ocean.
3. We have all types of weather.
4. We are the 4th country with the greatest biological diversity in the world and we have 9 of the 11 types of ecosystems.
5. Three of the 37 wilderness areas on the planet are here.
6. We have 26,000 different species of flora.
7. We have 17 million hectares of natural protected areas.
8. 12% of the planet’s species are here.
9. Our human capital already reaches, for example, 110,000 engineers and technologists a year.
10. In 10 years, our working-age population will experience its highest figure: 84.2 million.
11. We have 31.4 million people between 15 and 29 years old … That’s why it’s important that we inspire those who are the hope of the future.
12. We are the biggest exporter of:
13. We have an Invaluable Cultural Wealth.
– 7 million Mexicans speak indigenous languages. Amongst those are: Mayan, Nahuatl, Mixteco, Tzeltal, Zapoteco, Tzotzil, Otomi.
– We are the 2nd country with more knowledge in herbal and medicinal plants.
14. Mexico City has the most museums in the world.
15. We are the #1 Country in the American Continent with places declared “World Natural Heritage”.
16. We have 176 Natural Protected Areas.
17. We have 27 Sites that are “Cultural Heritage of Humanity”.
18. The Mexican Gastronomy is considered “Cultural Patrimony of the Humanity”
19. 25% of our electricity is produced by renewable energy.
20. We are the first investment destination for the aerospace industry.
21. We are the first exporter of flat screens in the world.
22. We are the 4th provider of information technology services.
23. We are 4th exporter of vehicles worldwide.
24. We are the 6th exporter of video-games software, animation and digital content.
25. 24 million tourists come every year. 80% of those tourists return to Mexico to enjoy our beaches, culture, archeological zones, cities, music, food, art, dance, joy and way of life.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS
Mexico is the chocolate cradle of the world. The Mayans called it “chacahuaa”, but the word comes from “Xocolatl” a nahuatl word meaning “bitter water.” It was used as a trade coin.
The “Happy Planet Index”, places Mexico as the 2nd happiest country in the world, due to our family structure and way of life.
If you haven’t already, come visit us, don’t miss the opportunity. If you have, come visit us again, you will LOVE IT!
José Eugenio Urioste Palomeque
Snakes and Ladders is a column by José E. Urioste, The Yucatan Times CEO and a Business Intelligence professional in the area of Research and Development. He began his training process in mass media writing scripts for radio programs, commercials and advertising campaigns and has contribuited with newspapers, magazines and other media in general on various topics ranging from the professional to the editorial. José is the author of various fiction and non-fiction novels that have been presented in numerous literary forums causing much controversy as to their content.
more recommended stories
Mexico’s Revolution Day: November 20th
Mexico’s Revolution Day (Dia de la.
There will be no “Smoke on the Water” over the “White City”
The British music group Deep Purple,.
Mexican drug lord Héctor Beltran Leyva arrested in 2014, dies of heart attack
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican drug.
90% hotel occupancy is expected for Mérida during Christmas season
MÉRIDA, Yucatán.- “Cultural and artistic programs.
New flight Mérida – Bajío (Guanajuato) started operations on Nov. 16
“With the opening of the new.
Migrant caravan: Mexican border city Tijuana protests against “invasion”
The images of hundreds of residents.
Mexico authorizes 26 new Brazil meat plants to export chicken
SAO PAULO, Nov 19 (Reuters) –.
U.S. Congress ready to make “Marijuana Moves”
Despite majority public support in favor of marijuana.
Mexico adopts Nepal’s celebration honoring dogs
Nepal’s tradition of honoring dogs at.
AMLO conforms advisory business council
As published by Mexico News Daily, President-elect.