1. Mexico means “In the navel of the Moon” and comes from Nahuatl “Metztli” (moon) and “xictli” (navel).
2. We have a population of 122.3 million inhabitants. 48% are men, 52% are women, in a surface of 1.973 million km² (741,3161 million miles²). It borders to the north with the United States, to the south with Guatemala and Belize, to the east it borders with the Gulf of Mexico and to the west with the Pacific Ocean.
3. We have all types of weather.
4. We are the 4th country with the greatest biological diversity in the world and we have 9 of the 11 types of ecosystems.
5. Three of the 37 wilderness areas on the planet are here.
6. We have 26,000 different species of flora.
7. We have 17 million hectares of natural protected areas.
8. 12% of the planet’s species are here.
9. Our human capital already reaches, for example, 110,000 engineers and technologists a year.
10. In 10 years, our working-age population will experience its highest figure: 84.2 million.
11. We have 31.4 million people between 15 and 29 years old … That’s why it’s important that we inspire those who are the hope of the future.
12. We are the biggest exporter of:
13. We have an Invaluable Cultural Wealth.
– 7 million Mexicans speak indigenous languages. Amongst those are: Mayan, Nahuatl, Mixteco, Tzeltal, Zapoteco, Tzotzil, Otomi.
– We are the 2nd country with more knowledge in herbal and medicinal plants.
14. Mexico City has the most museums in the world.
15. We are the #1 Country in the American Continent with places declared “World Natural Heritage”.
16. We have 176 Natural Protected Areas.
17. We have 27 Sites that are “Cultural Heritage of Humanity”.
18. The Mexican Gastronomy is considered “Cultural Patrimony of the Humanity”
19. 25% of our electricity is produced by renewable energy.
20. We are the first investment destination for the aerospace industry.
21. We are the first exporter of flat screens in the world.
22. We are the 4th provider of information technology services.
23. We are 4th exporter of vehicles worldwide.
24. We are the 6th exporter of video-games software, animation and digital content.
25. 24 million tourists come every year. 80% of those tourists return to Mexico to enjoy our beaches, culture, archeological zones, cities, music, food, art, dance, joy and way of life.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS
Mexico is the chocolate cradle of the world. The Mayans called it “chacahuaa”, but the word comes from “Xocolatl” a nahuatl word meaning “bitter water.” It was used as a trade coin.
The “Happy Planet Index”, places Mexico as the 2nd happiest country in the world, due to our family structure and way of life.
If you haven’t already, come visit us, don’t miss the opportunity. If you have, come visit us again, you will LOVE IT!
José Eugenio Urioste Palomeque
Snakes and Ladders is a column by José E. Urioste, The Yucatan Times CEO and a Business Intelligence professional in the area of Research and Development. He began his training process in mass media writing scripts for radio programs, commercials and advertising campaigns and has contribuited with newspapers, magazines and other media in general on various topics ranging from the professional to the editorial. José is the author of various fiction and non-fiction novels that have been presented in numerous literary forums causing much controversy as to their content.
more recommended stories
Mexican model Vanessa Ponce de Leon wins Miss World 2018 beauty contest
A Mexican model and volunteer was.
Christmastime in Mexico is full of traditions
To say that Mexico is a.
Puerto Vallarta Wins 2018 Gay Cities ‘Fun in the Sun’ Award
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico – The warmth Puerto.
Battle between the US & Mexico over the US Dolphin Safe label comes to an end
More than a decade since Mexico.
Mexico will host international Solar Power Fair in 2019
Mexico will host one of the.
Fentanyl lab busted in Mexico City
The Attorney General’s Office (PGR) has.
Man faces 30 years in prison for stabbing his wife in Merida
Erick. G.L was arrested for the.
Teotihuacán flower carpet sets new Guinness World Record
With an extension of 17,805.19 square.
2018: the year the migration crisis swept the Americas and reached the doorstep of the U.S
Mexico City (AFP) – From the.
Photographs of dogs waiting for homeless owner outside hospital go viral
The scene took place in a.