Have you noticed a lot of people walking around at night while watching their phones?
Pokemon Go, the new APP by Nintendo and Niantic is also raising its popularity in Yucatan. People all over the state are walking everywhere to catch as many Pokemons as they can.
Pay some attention, and you’ll notice a whole bunch of people gathered in places like parks and monuments with their phones in their hands.
Just the other day, I saw about 20 people in San Juanistas, the Campestre park, playing at 11:30pm. Some came with their dogs, some stayed in their cars, etc. I even saw a guy wearing a Pokemon cap, just like in the games.
The same happens in other places, such as Las Americas Park, where there are lots of people in groups looking for Pokemons in the Mayan fountains and near the marquesita stands or the Concha Acustica.
Now, even in Yucatan there is a special way to play this game:
- Since Mérida is one of the safest cities in Mexico, you’ll notice a lot of children and young adults playing at late hours in the night. It’s safe to play it as long as they pay attention to their surroundings, remember that there a lots of people driving under the influence of alcohol at night, specially in the north.
- Most of the parks here offer a not-so-bad free wifi so people can save a lot from their data plan or even play without one. Try Plaza Grande in downtown or the Altabrisa Park.
- It’s a great way to meet new friends, most of the people playing speak English.
- The APP changes the Pokemons according to the place you are visiting, there are some special places where people can find certain type of Pokemons. You will find more water Pokemons in Progreso beach and more Rock types in the zone of Chicxulub.
- A great way to know more about Yucatecan culture is by playing with a Yucatecan, name your Pokemons after cultural or political things, it’s fun to do it.
- Take pictures in this great state along with your Pokemon.
All I have to say is that as long as you pay attention to your surroundings and respect other players, you will have a great time playing this amazing game, making new friends and enjoying the beautiful Yucatan. Go and catch ‘em all!
Story and photos by Guillermina Santana for TYT
more recommended stories
On Sixth Anniversary of 43 students disappearance, Mexico issues arrest warrants
Mexican authorities have issued dozens of.
Mexico will be the economy hardest hit by the pandemic: UNCTAD.
In 2020, Mexico will fall 10%,.
August 2020 is the most violent month on record in Mexico
August 2020 was the most violent.
Governor Mauricio Vila Dosal recognizes two outstanding Yucatecan nurses
Mérida, Yucatán, September 26, 2020.- The.
Trump’s border wall funds challenged in court… again
Democrat lawmakers may once again challenge.
Mexico is sending 100 firefighters to Central California to help fight the SQF Complex Fires
FRESNO, California — Mexico has sent.
Mexico Wants to Pay US Water Debt, Stay Out of US Election
Mexico’s president is calling on angry.
Influencers visit the “Land of Mayab” to promote the destination on social networks
Through their social networks, young people.
Walmart opens distribution center in Yucatan
Walmart de México y Centroamérica announced.
Thieves steal business jet in Mexico, crash in Guatemala
Authorities say thieves stole a business.