Have you noticed a lot of people walking around at night while watching their phones?
Pokemon Go, the new APP by Nintendo and Niantic is also raising its popularity in Yucatan. People all over the state are walking everywhere to catch as many Pokemons as they can.
Pay some attention, and you’ll notice a whole bunch of people gathered in places like parks and monuments with their phones in their hands.
Just the other day, I saw about 20 people in San Juanistas, the Campestre park, playing at 11:30pm. Some came with their dogs, some stayed in their cars, etc. I even saw a guy wearing a Pokemon cap, just like in the games.
The same happens in other places, such as Las Americas Park, where there are lots of people in groups looking for Pokemons in the Mayan fountains and near the marquesita stands or the Concha Acustica.
Now, even in Yucatan there is a special way to play this game:
- Since Mérida is one of the safest cities in Mexico, you’ll notice a lot of children and young adults playing at late hours in the night. It’s safe to play it as long as they pay attention to their surroundings, remember that there a lots of people driving under the influence of alcohol at night, specially in the north.
- Most of the parks here offer a not-so-bad free wifi so people can save a lot from their data plan or even play without one. Try Plaza Grande in downtown or the Altabrisa Park.
- It’s a great way to meet new friends, most of the people playing speak English.
- The APP changes the Pokemons according to the place you are visiting, there are some special places where people can find certain type of Pokemons. You will find more water Pokemons in Progreso beach and more Rock types in the zone of Chicxulub.
- A great way to know more about Yucatecan culture is by playing with a Yucatecan, name your Pokemons after cultural or political things, it’s fun to do it.
- Take pictures in this great state along with your Pokemon.
All I have to say is that as long as you pay attention to your surroundings and respect other players, you will have a great time playing this amazing game, making new friends and enjoying the beautiful Yucatan. Go and catch ‘em all!
Story and photos by Guillermina Santana for TYT
more recommended stories
Hurricane Rick makes landfall on Mexico’s Pacific coast
MEXICO CITY, October 25, 2021, (Reuters).
Prepare a delicious pumpkin syrup dessert for the Hanal Pixán Altar
MÉRIDA, Yucatán, (October 25, 2021).- On.
Mexican Sergio “Checo” Perez finished third at the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas
F1: Perez endures ‘toughest race’ without.
Cyclists demonstrate using life jackets in Paseo de Montejo to demand road safety
The mobilization has the objective of.
International company Accenture will settle in Tekax, Yucatán
Accenture is a global operations, technology.
Over forced labor allegations, U.S. blocks imports of tomatoes from Mexican farms
WASHINGTON/MEXICO CITY, October 25, 2021 (Reuters).
Moderna says its COVID-19 vaccine protective, safe in young children
October 25, 2021 (Reuters) – Moderna.
Hurricane Rick makes landfall on Michoacan’s coast
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – The eye.
Bus accident on the Felipe Carrillo Puerto-Chetumal highway leaves 3 dead and several injured
Chetumal, Quintana Roo, (October 25, 2021).-.
These are the vaccination rules in the U.S. for international travel reopening on Nov. 8
WASHINGTON, Oct 25 (Reuters) – The.