Depite widespread publicity regarding the Zika virus, there have been no confirmed cases to date in the Yucatan Peninsula states of Yucatan, Campeche or Quintana Roo.
Reuters reported that Mexico’s health ministry on Wednesday Feb. 3 played down any impact on its tourism industry from the mosquito-borne Zika virus, emphasizing the disease was under control and far from its main tourist centers.
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates Zika could eventually affect as many as 4 million people in Latin America, however, the infection presents no risk for tourist activity. Mexican health official Diaz assured tour operators during a meeting in Cancun; that the country is following all WHO guidelines regarding containment of the disease, however he conceded it was “inevitable” the virus would spread. The cool temperatures currently prevailing in the Yucatan Peninsula are another factor diminishing concern about Zika here as they prevent the reproduction of the mosquito that transmits the disease. All three Yucatan Peninsula states have also implemented mosquito-eradication measures.
FACTS ABOUT ZIKA
- The WHO has not recommended travel or trade bans with Mexico.
- Mexico has so far confirmed 34 cases of Zika, none in Yucatan.
- The disease causes mild fever, rash and red eyes, though about four-fifths of those infected show no symptoms.
- Few Zika sufferers have to be hospitalized.
- The virus has been tied to brain damage in babies in Brazil, but Mexico has not yet detected a case in a pregnant woman.
- Mexico is one of 26 Latin American and Caribbean countries and territories with a Zika-related travel alert from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, prompting some expectant couples to steer clear of the region.
TYT Newsroom / reuters.com
more recommended stories
Despite safety and security concerns, Cancun remains # 1 tourist destination in Latinamerica
Cancun maintained its position as the.
600 new police for Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum Quintana Roo
According to riviera-maya-news.com, approximately 600 new.
Teen jogger who accidentally crossed U.S. border from Canada is detained for two weeks
A teenager out for a beachside.
Grand Finale of the 2018 Merida Initiative National Mock Trial Competition for Mexican Law Students
Mexico City, 21 June, 2018 –.
Three time NBA Champion Klay Thompson charters plane to Mexico full of IG models
Three-time champion Klay Thompson is in.
Mexico’s soccer national team mental coach is transforming mindsets nationwide
Though the spotlight is always on.
Maya sacred book “Chilam Balam Tekax” astrological predictions analyzed by INAH experts
The first specialized integral study of.
Prisma Hotel Group announces investment of 357 million for remodeling hotels nationwide
With the objective of always providing.
Trump’s ‘Tent Cities’: where unaccompanied minors are kept in South Texas
According to Esquire: Beyond the moral and.
“Mayas y Piratas” Festival in Chetumal
The Bay of Chetumal will host.