Depite widespread publicity regarding the Zika virus, there have been no confirmed cases to date in the Yucatan Peninsula states of Yucatan, Campeche or Quintana Roo.
Reuters reported that Mexico’s health ministry on Wednesday Feb. 3 played down any impact on its tourism industry from the mosquito-borne Zika virus, emphasizing the disease was under control and far from its main tourist centers.
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates Zika could eventually affect as many as 4 million people in Latin America, however, the infection presents no risk for tourist activity. Mexican health official Diaz assured tour operators during a meeting in Cancun; that the country is following all WHO guidelines regarding containment of the disease, however he conceded it was “inevitable” the virus would spread. The cool temperatures currently prevailing in the Yucatan Peninsula are another factor diminishing concern about Zika here as they prevent the reproduction of the mosquito that transmits the disease. All three Yucatan Peninsula states have also implemented mosquito-eradication measures.
FACTS ABOUT ZIKA
- The WHO has not recommended travel or trade bans with Mexico.
- Mexico has so far confirmed 34 cases of Zika, none in Yucatan.
- The disease causes mild fever, rash and red eyes, though about four-fifths of those infected show no symptoms.
- Few Zika sufferers have to be hospitalized.
- The virus has been tied to brain damage in babies in Brazil, but Mexico has not yet detected a case in a pregnant woman.
- Mexico is one of 26 Latin American and Caribbean countries and territories with a Zika-related travel alert from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, prompting some expectant couples to steer clear of the region.
TYT Newsroom / reuters.com
more recommended stories
Cancun’s Equity Park: a project of inclusion and environmental consciousness
The Strategic Projects Agency ( Agepro ) of Quintana Roo presented this.
Mexico requests extension of US-Mexico land border restrictions
Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Relations said.
Mom and 2-year-old kicked off flight over face mask confrontation
When Jodi Degyansky and her 2-year-old.
Amniocentesis, what it is for and how it helps
Pregnancy is one of those exciting.
Mexican Jesus Seade out of the running to lead the World Trade Organization
GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (Reuters) – The Mexican,.
Tropical Depression 22 forms in the Gulf of Mexico
A disturbance over the Gulf of.
López Obrador vows to pay US water debt
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s president.
Las Coloradas receives its first tourists at the beginning of the economic reactivation in Yucatan
MÉRIDA, Yucatán.- The economic reactivation in Yucatán continues.
Man arrested in Kinchil, Yucatan as he threatened store owner with a knife
Kinchil, Yucatan (September 16).- Carlos Q.P.,.
PRD political party says AMLO seeks a political lynching
The PRD parliamentary group in the.