Sandra — the strongest Eastern Pacific hurricane so late in the season — will hit the southern end of the Baja California Peninsula and Western Mexico during Thanksgiving weekend.
Sandra is intensifying quickly, and became the strongest hurricane so late in the season on Wednesday November 25th. This rare late-season hurricane, while later weakening quickly, may limp ashore in Los Cabos, Mexico on the early morning hours of Saturday November 28th.
Here is the latest information on Sandra:
- Location: About 700 miles south of Los Cabos, Mexico
- Movement: Curling north, then accelerating toward the northeast. Sandra may brush the southern Baja California peninsula near Cabo San Lucas early Saturday, then should move into Sinaloa, Durango or Chihuahua states later this weekend.
- Intensity: Now strengthening quickly, Sandra is forecast to become a major (Category 3) hurricane on Thursday, which would make it the latest major hurricane on record in the eastern Pacific. It then will weaken quickly after getting caught up in the subtropical jet stream. Sandra may weaken to a tropical storm or depression before brushing Cabo San Lucas, and could be a depression or even remnant before ever making a landfall in mainland Mexico this weekend.
- Impacts: Despite a later weakening trend, locally heavy rain and flash flooding are possible in the southern Baja California Peninsula as soon as Friday and in the above-mentioned Mexican states where Sandra limps ashore Saturday. Some moisture from Sandra may also pump into a heavy rain event in the southern Plains of the U.S.
- Rarity: Sandra is the strongest hurricane so late in the season. Only three other eastern Pacific storms have formed later in the calendar than Sandra in records dating to 1949. Hurricane Sandra became the second latest forming hurricane on record, behind Hurricane Winnie in 1983. Furthermore, there is no record of an intact depression or named storm making a landfall on either Baja California or Mexico’s Pacific coast so late in the season.
more recommended stories
K’u’uk: contemporary cuisine or pure alchemy?
Acknowledged at the Food and Travel.
Mérida, one of the best cities to live in Mexico (and the world)
Dan Prescher wrote an article for.
Hacienda Kancabchén: a call from a distant era just 15 miles away from Mérida
Hacienda Kancabchén maintains great part of.
Amazon launches new debit card in México
MEXICO CITY.- Banorte and Mastercard, together.
Over two thousand dogs and cats have been vaccinated in Valladolid
With the installation of seven locations.
Yucatecan pelicans and flamingos on the brink of becoming endangered species
“Pelicans and flamingos are some of.
Teacher Leaders Present an Innovative Blueprint for Relevant Learning in the Age of AI
What does the fourth industrial revolution.
New technology used in Yucatán to find people lost at sea
As part of a third aspect.
“Pet uh” Civil Association aims to promote Peto, Yucatán
PETO.- In the coming weeks the.
Mexico overtakes Brazil as the largest automobile producer in Latin America
Mexico registered a new record in.