Sandra — the strongest Eastern Pacific hurricane so late in the season — will hit the southern end of the Baja California Peninsula and Western Mexico during Thanksgiving weekend.
Sandra is intensifying quickly, and became the strongest hurricane so late in the season on Wednesday November 25th. This rare late-season hurricane, while later weakening quickly, may limp ashore in Los Cabos, Mexico on the early morning hours of Saturday November 28th.
Here is the latest information on Sandra:
- Location: About 700 miles south of Los Cabos, Mexico
- Movement: Curling north, then accelerating toward the northeast. Sandra may brush the southern Baja California peninsula near Cabo San Lucas early Saturday, then should move into Sinaloa, Durango or Chihuahua states later this weekend.
- Intensity: Now strengthening quickly, Sandra is forecast to become a major (Category 3) hurricane on Thursday, which would make it the latest major hurricane on record in the eastern Pacific. It then will weaken quickly after getting caught up in the subtropical jet stream. Sandra may weaken to a tropical storm or depression before brushing Cabo San Lucas, and could be a depression or even remnant before ever making a landfall in mainland Mexico this weekend.
- Impacts: Despite a later weakening trend, locally heavy rain and flash flooding are possible in the southern Baja California Peninsula as soon as Friday and in the above-mentioned Mexican states where Sandra limps ashore Saturday. Some moisture from Sandra may also pump into a heavy rain event in the southern Plains of the U.S.
- Rarity: Sandra is the strongest hurricane so late in the season. Only three other eastern Pacific storms have formed later in the calendar than Sandra in records dating to 1949. Hurricane Sandra became the second latest forming hurricane on record, behind Hurricane Winnie in 1983. Furthermore, there is no record of an intact depression or named storm making a landfall on either Baja California or Mexico’s Pacific coast so late in the season.
more recommended stories
“Yucatan is an exceptional state when it comes to public safety” (Federal Secretary of Security and Citizen Protection)
“Yucatan is an exceptional state when.
Does Tulum really need a new one thousand-room hotel?
New “Hotel Internacional” in Tulum will.
American Expats say money they had at Monex is gone and the bank isn’t helping them
In late December, Kathy Machir called.
25 countries confirmed to attend “Sargasso Summit” in Cancun
Cancún, Quintana Roo – 25 countries.
Facebook takes down billions of fake accounts
Facebook took down 2.2 billion fake.
Trump orders intel agencies to assist with review of “Russia probe”
Looks like “investigating the investigators” has.
British Prime Minister Theresa May announces resignation
“I tried three times. I believe.
Governor Mauricio Vila Dosal supervises maintenance works on the Mérida-Progreso highway
Governor Mauricio Vila Dosal supervised the.
The “Pueblos Mágicos” program will once again receive government funding
Zacatecas, Mexico – At a tourism fair.
‘Hot Sale’ offers online deals & discounts in Mexico (May 27-31)
From May 27-31, 2019, some of.