The “Paseo de las Animas” (Procession of the Souls) is scheduled to start today at 6 pm 0n the corner of “El Diamante”, located on Calle 64 (between 73 and 75), to Merida’s General Cemetery, passing by the Ermita de Santa Isabel.
The procession of souls features young people and children dressed in the typical Yucatecan costume and characterized as dead. They are all part of the folklore groups from the State Department of Culture. This year, a regional altar from the state of Veracruz will be displayed.
During the itinerary there will be altars installed by neighbors, Citizen Participation Councils, civil associations, schools and offices, among others; along with artistic and cultural presentations.
This year, a total of 324 volunteers signed up to build the altars, 14 from civil associations, 16 from Integral Development Centers, one more by the Merida “comisarías”, 128 made from the Citizen Participation Council, 23 from other Yucatecan municipalities, 10 from private companies, 6 from schools and 80 are local residents.
All activities are free addmission.
– Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. The activity is basically to walk the path with “souls”. The exhibition includes several streets (some with cobblestones).
– Be aware that many of the surrounding streets will be closed.
– If you park your car in a parking lot, be ready for a relatively long walk .
– The altars will be ready for visitors at 6 pm.
– The procession (with characterized people) starts at 7 pm in the “Punta del Diamante”, Calle 64 between 73 and 75.
– At 7 pm there will be a “Vaquería of souls” in front of the Ermita de Santa Isabel.
– At 8:30 pm there will be a Mayan ceremony in the General Cemetery and 9 pm the “souls” go out in procession from the cemetery.
more recommended stories
Finally, the U.S. lifts tariffs on Canadian, Mexican metals
WASHINGTON/OTTAWA (Reuters) – The United States.
Puerto Vallarta is recognized as the world’s second most important beach destination for the LGBT community
Puerto Vallarta is internationally recognized as.
AMLO pardons defaulting CFE debtors in his homestate of Tabasco
Mexico’s Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) will.
U.S Treasury works with government of Mexico against perpetrators of corruption
On Friday May 17th, the United.
Domestic workers’ labor rights have been officially expanded in Mexico
Mexico’s Congress voted to grant the.
Smog from pollution continues to choke the skies over Mexico City
Mexico City authorities have announced a.
Mexico prepares tax deal with technology platforms
Mexico’s Finance Ministry plans to announce.
Thousands of fires are blazing across Mexico
Mexico is facing an extremely heavy.
Mexico City officials had to cancel school due to poor air quality
Mexico’s education ministry cancelled schools in.
Mexico Plans More Pemex Tax Relief
Bloomberg) — Mexico’s state oil company.