The “Paseo de las Animas” (Procession of the Souls) is scheduled to start today at 6 pm 0n the corner of “El Diamante”, located on Calle 64 (between 73 and 75), to Merida’s General Cemetery, passing by the Ermita de Santa Isabel.
The procession of souls features young people and children dressed in the typical Yucatecan costume and characterized as dead. They are all part of the folklore groups from the State Department of Culture. This year, a regional altar from the state of Veracruz will be displayed.
During the itinerary there will be altars installed by neighbors, Citizen Participation Councils, civil associations, schools and offices, among others; along with artistic and cultural presentations.
This year, a total of 324 volunteers signed up to build the altars, 14 from civil associations, 16 from Integral Development Centers, one more by the Merida “comisarías”, 128 made from the Citizen Participation Council, 23 from other Yucatecan municipalities, 10 from private companies, 6 from schools and 80 are local residents.
All activities are free addmission.
– Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. The activity is basically to walk the path with “souls”. The exhibition includes several streets (some with cobblestones).
– Be aware that many of the surrounding streets will be closed.
– If you park your car in a parking lot, be ready for a relatively long walk .
– The altars will be ready for visitors at 6 pm.
– The procession (with characterized people) starts at 7 pm in the “Punta del Diamante”, Calle 64 between 73 and 75.
– At 7 pm there will be a “Vaquería of souls” in front of the Ermita de Santa Isabel.
– At 8:30 pm there will be a Mayan ceremony in the General Cemetery and 9 pm the “souls” go out in procession from the cemetery.
more recommended stories
As usually for the last 30 years, Cancun will draw thousands of college students for “Spring Break 2019”
College students all over the US and.
AAA Adds Five Hotels in Mexico to Five Diamond List (two of them in the Yucatan Peninsula)
AAA has released its annual list of.
Yucatan Symphony Orchestra celebrates 15 years
The Yucatan Symphony Orchestra (OSY) will.
Municipal government began installing cultural-sites signage along Mérida’s downtown
With an investment of 170,000 pesos,.
19-year-old girl missing in Mérida finally found safe and sound
A 19-year-old girl left her home.
Several Reasons to Use Quotes in Your Presentation
A well-chosen quote can set a.
Whomever accuses the Church is related to the devil: Pope Francis
ROME (EFE).- Pope Francis criticized on.
Canadian company in Yucatan leaves hundreds of employees “hanging”
Workers ask for the intervention of.
Mérida’s Colonia Industrial residents concerned about lack of water
MERIDA .- “We have absolutely no.
Hate and extremism spikes across the US in anti-Latino hate crimes
“Why do you hate us?… Because.