The 12th International Conference of National Human Rights Institutions will take place from 8 to 10 October 2015 at the Hyatt Regency, in Merida. The main theme of the Conference will be “The Sustainable Development Goals. What role for National Human Rights Institutions?”.
The conference will lead to recommendations to the United Nations on sustainable development related to human rights issues.
The International Coordinating Committee of National Institutions for the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (ICC) at its General Meeting held in Geneva in March 2015 confirmed the decision by the ICC Bureau at its meeting held in October 2014 in Johannesburg, South Africa to host the 12th ICC International Conference in the Americas.
This is in accordance with established practice that the hosting of ICC’s International Conferences rotate on a regional basis. In consultation with the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the General Meeting also accepted the nomination of the A-status National Human Rights Commission of Mexico by the Americas Network of national human rights institutions for the promotion and protection of human rights as the host of the ICC International Conference.
Further, it was agreed that the theme would be: “The Sustainable Development Goals: What role for National Human Rights Institutions?”
The purpose of the ICCs International Conferences is to develop and strengthen cooperation between national institutions, to promote the establishment or strengthening of ties of friendship and solidarity between participants, to discuss items on the agenda and ensure their follow up at the national level.
This International Conference will draw on NHRI experiences with addressing development-related issues in order to identify means through which NHRIs can play a role in the implementation process of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development as well as the Follow up and Review processes.
The International Conference will be hosted and organized by the National Human Rights Commission of Mexico (CNDH) in collaboration with the International Coordinating Committee of national institutions for the promotion and protection of Human Rights (ICC), and in consultation with and under the auspices of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS:
- Goal 1 End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- Goal 2 End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Goal 3 Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Goal 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Goal 5 Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Goal 6 Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Goal 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Goal 8 Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- Goal 9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 10 Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Goal 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Goal 12 Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Goal 13 Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Goal 14 Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Goal 15 Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Goal 16 Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Goal 17 Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
more recommended stories
Mexico is looking for ways to reduce its dependency on U.S. natural gas imports
According to Oilprice.com, one of the.
German gunmaker Heckler & Koch fined for illegal gun sales to Mexico
A German court has handed suspended.
Prominent environmental activist murdered in Morelos, Mexico
A prominent environmental activist who opposed.
Is Lopez Obrador helping Donald Trump? (Az Central)
President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador campaigned to.
What Spring Breakers need to know about the U.S. government’s Mexico Travel Advisory
The United States government is warning.
AMLO to help “El Chapo” family seek US humanitarian visas
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.
Save the Yucatecan Possum: a master of survival
The opossum, tlacuache or “zorro” as.
Frozen strawberry shipment from Mexico contained $12.7 million USD worth of meth
A commercial shipment of frozen strawberries.
Club Sibarita: A national gastronomic encounter in Yucatán
Jean Philippe Guillot, co-founder of the.
“You will be captured”. Yucatan Chief of Police
The Ministry of Public Security of.