Recalling that tourism is one of the most dynamic and resilient economic sectors, Ministers of Tourism from G20 countries committed to maximize the potential the sector has to generate jobs, particularly for women and youth.
In line with the overall priorities of Turkish G20 Presidency – Inclusiveness, Investment for growth and Implementation – the meeting focused on how tourism can create more and better jobs as a means to reduce inequalities at national and international levels.
“Tourism has a major role to play in economic growth and cultural understanding,” said the Turkish Minister of Culture and Tourism, Yalcin Topcu, recalling the objectives of the Turkish Presidency of the G20 and the important role that tourism plays in the socio-economic development of Turkey.
“Today, though our economies have improved considerably, growth is still subdued and unemployment remains one of our most pressing challenges, particularly when it comes to the youth. Tourism can promote more and better jobs, create opportunities for women and youth, stimulate entrepreneurship and the inclusion of SMEs into the tourism value chains,” said UNWTO Secretary-General, Taleb Rifai in his opening remarks to the Meeting.
The Deputy Director General of the International Labour Organization (ILO), Greg Vines, stressed that tourism “has the potential to further contribute to economic growth and job creation especially in less advanced regions,” a factor that “gives tourism a key role in meeting the global challenges set by the 2030 agenda for sustainable development”.
G20 Tourism Ministers recalled that tourism accounts for almost 10% of the world’s GDP, 6% of global trade, one in eleven jobs in the world. Data from ILO shows that ‘accommodation and restaurants’, together with other ‘private sector services’ are expected to create jobs at the fastest rate of any sector in the economy for the next five years.
In view of the above, Ministers recalled that tourism creates jobs at all skills levels, not only directly in the sector, but through its value chain in many other sectors and that it has a higher share of women and youth employment and entrepreneurship as compared to the whole economy.
Mexican Tourism Secretary Federico de la Madrid met with representatives of Saudi Arabia, the United States and Turkey, as well as with officials from the Assembly of the World Tourism Organization (OMT) to discuss issues of cooperation in multilateral forums.
Ministers agreed on several actions, including:
- To promote jobs for women and youth, stressing policies that address women’s empowerment;
- To advance the decent work agenda including the issues of wage setting, social dialogue and social protection;
- To create stronger links between the private sector, the public sector and education and training institutions to close the gap between the needs of the market and education programmes;
- To enable cooperation between developing countries and G20 countries to promote inclusive economic opportunities and job creation, with a particular focus on women’s education;
- To promote the integration of SMEs into the global economy;
- To promote the value of employment in tourism to reflect more accurately the opportunities and benefits of tourism jobs and to attract and retain talent in the sector; and
- To accelerate their efforts in the measurement of tourism employment in the framework of the UN adopted Tourism Satellite Accounts and the International recommendations on Tourism Statistics.
– Source: http://www.traveldailynews.com/
more recommended stories
Scientists say the Maya Kept Jaguar Zoos for Centuries
A chemical analysis of excavated bones.
Mexico forced to ask for help from the UN Refugee Office before imminent Honduran caravan
Mexico says it will ask the.
Top news from Cancun Travel Mart
Cancun Travel Mart, one of Mexico’s largest tourism.
Marijuana stocks to watch: Canopy Growth is the cannabis business’s $4 billion gorilla
The following article is part of.
Riviera Maya among the top 6 honeymoon destinations around the world
Couples narrowing down their honeymoon destination.
How Our Search for an Overseas Retirement Spot Surprised Even Us
When I retired about two years.
AMLO will provide working visas to Central Americans immigrants
Andrés Manuel López Obrador, said his.
Trump Threatens To Order Military To ‘Close Our Southern Border’
President Donald Trump on Thursday October.
October 17 will be remembered in Canada as the day when Cannabis was legalized
Canada became the first industrialized nation.
Mexico sends federal forces to its southern border as migrant caravan heads north
Mexico sent federal forces to its.