President Enrique Peña Nieto declared on Tuesday September 8th that the investigation into events which occurred in Iguala, Guerrero nearly a year ago is ongoing, and that the federal government will continue to look into the case until the truth about what happened to the 43 students from Ayotzinapa is revealed.
Speaking during a working tour in Puebla, the president reiterated the unwavering determination of his government to be close to the families of the students and to discover the truth about an event which has outraged and damaged Mexican society.
The Foreign Relations Secretariat (SRE) has been ordered to meet with the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) to discuss expanding the mandate for experts to conclude their investigations.
Recommendations made by the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI) of the IACHR will be taken into account and a new high-level forensic examination requested, said the president.
The GIEI report claims that the Iguala and Cocula police were probably responsible for the events, as well as organized crime groups, according to the president.
Thanks to the work of the Attorney General’s Office (PGR), a total of 110 people have been arrested. People will continue to be questioned until all of the guilty parties are detained, said Peña Nieto.
The president noted that although there are differences between Mexican authorities and international experts regarding the PGR’s standard protocol, “these can be overcome with new investigations which will reveal new information regarding what happened.”
In order to ensure that events like the one in question do not reoccur, the president stated that a bill will be pushed to punish those who are connected to kidnapping and torture.
The government will also suggest a law to fight organized crime in municipal governments and strengthen local authorities’ power to implement the law.
PGR remained convinced on Monday that many of the 43 students who disappeared in 2014 were killed and incinerated at a garbage dump, one day after an independent experts’ report said it did not happen. Tomás Zerón, the director of its criminal investigation agency, said there could have been errors in the investigation but they remain confident in the forensic science and the conclusion, adding that 100 investigators were involved. “We can’t be wrong,” Zerón said in a radio interview Monday. Zerón’s office has been one of the principal actors in the investigation of the students’ disappearance Sept. 26, 2014, in the southern state of Guerrero.
Francisco Cox, one of the experts on the independent commission sent by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, told a broadcaster that it is possible the students were burned elsewhere, but not at the dump.
On Sunday, just hours after the report was released, Attorney General Arely Gómez said she would order a new examination of what happened at the dump.
The independent experts’ report dismantled the government’s long-held official version and found numerous problems in the investigation. Parents of the students have long refused to accept the government’s version.
more recommended stories
Migrant drowns while crossing US-Mexico border canal amid stormy weather
A migrant drowned in a California.
Check out the Best Travel Sites for 2019
The best travel site should be.
The Best Winter Cruise Deals 2018/2019
Winter isn’t officially here until December.
Riviera Maya Jazz Festival closed last week a record-breaking 16th edition
The 16th edition of Riviera Maya.
Yucatecan woman accused of animal cruelty against her own Chihuahua dog
A Yucatecan woman who painted her.
Migrants in Tijuana trickling over and under border wall
TIJUANA, Mexico (AP) — A steady.
Noche Blanca a city full of Culture
As every year since 2013, the.
More than 2 million people went to the Yucatan Fair at Xmatkuil this year
Merida, Yuc. (Notimex).- A massive influx.
Yucatán participates in protocol for prophylactic HIV treatment
Mexico, Dec. 7 (Notimex).- Several countries.
Get a knee replacement in Mexico and save enough money to live on for a year
“Typically, a knee replacement costs $35,000.