Latino organizations in the U.S. applauded the breakdown of trade relations between the NBC network and Donald Trump for his xenophobic comments on Mexican immigrants.
The National Council of La Raza (NCLR) said in a statement that the television network “deserves an enormous amount of credit for reaffirming what their company stands for and, as importantly, what it does not stand for.
“We know that this was not an easy choice for NBC and its parent company, Comcast, nor was it easy for Univision, and they will have NCLR’s full support going forward. We applaud those in both companies who worked so diligently behind the scenes to address this issue and ultimately make this difficult decision. It was the right thing to do,” stated NCLR President and CEO Janet Murguía.
NBC received a petition with more than 200,000 signatures to cancel the retransmission of the Miss America and Miss Universe pageants, in addition to the participation of Trump in “The Apprentice” reality show.
Today, NBC joined Univision in breaking its trade links with the tycoon.
“Thanks @NBCUniversal for standing up for the #Latino community and cutting ties with @realDonaldTrump #TrumpDumped,” wrote the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) on its Twitter account, while the immigration activism group America’s Voice described the decision as “amazing”.
Carlos Slim scraps project with Donald Trump
A television company controlled by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim has cancelled a project with real estate developer and TV personality Donald Trump after his comments insulting Mexicans, Slim’s spokesman said on Monday.
This is the third company to cut ties with Trump, who is seeking the Republican nomination for the November 2016 presidential election. NBC said earlier on Monday that it would no longer air the “Miss USA” and “Miss Universe” pageants due to his comments. Spanish-language broadcaster Univision also said on Thursday it would not air the “Miss USA” pageant.
Ora TV, a production company co-founded by Slim and TV personality Larry King and funded by América Movil, cancelled a program it was working on with some of Trump’s companies, Slim’s spokesman and son-in-law Arturo Elías said.
“His statement was totally out of line…working with someone so closed-minded was not going to work,” Elías said, adding that the comments were racist.
Trump, earlier this month, described migrants from Mexico to the United States as drug-runners and rapists.
Telecoms magnate Slim is the world’s second-richest man, with a net worth of around US$71.1 billion, according to Forbes. Trump is at number 405 on the list, worth US$4.1 billion.
The Financial Times first reported the cancellation of the project earlier on Monday.
Televisa joins actions against Trump
Mexican media group Televisa announced that it will not participate in any project related to U.S. tycoon Donald Trump.
In a statement, Televisa said it received with total disbelief the statements from Trump, “who had offended the Latin-American migrant population and particularly the Mexicans”.
“Days after his unfortunate statement, Mr. Trump, far from reconsider, continued to attack migrants and any media that has criticized him,” it said.
Grupo Televisa also strongly rejected any form of discrimination, racism or xenophobia, and reiterated that it finds unacceptable any kind of commercial relationship with the Miss Universe pageant and the other companies related to Trump.
Ricky Martin slams Donald Trump
This year’s edition of the Ricky Martin Foundation golf tournament, scheduled to be held next August at the Trump International Golf Club, owned by Donald Trump, was transferred to another sports field in Puerto Rico due to the xenophobic comments of the billionaire.
The representative of the Puerto Rican artist, Helga García, announced the decision in a press release, indicating that the event will be held on August 21 at the Wyndham Grand Hotel Río Mar Beach Resort in Río Grande, a short distance from the Trump International Golf Club.
Martin also took the chance to express his personal position in light of the comments made by Trump when he announced his intentions to look for the U.S. Presidency on the Republican ticket.
“There’s much hatred and ignorance in your heart @realDonaldTrump,” expressed Martin, 43, on his Twitter account.
García also resigned to her position as director of public relations for the Miss Puerto Rico Universe in response to the xenophobic expressions by Trump, owner of the Miss Universe franchise.
more recommended stories
Canadian citizen killed on a motorcycle accident in Isla Mujeres
An Ontario man killed in a.
Mérida among the Best Travel International Destinations
Time’s MONEY magazine announced its annual.
At least 50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica
Cambridge Analytica, the company at the.
Fitch confirms Mexico’s good rating, but warns of AMLO risks
The rating agency Fitch Ratings confirmed the credit rating of.
“Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”: Expert
“Just a few years ago, Yucatan.
Members of the “Antorchista” Mexican political organization march the streets of Mérida
According to estimations of the state.
Mexico, Inditex fifth most important market in 2017
The expansion and growth of the.
Explosions rattle Austin, Texas
A deadly string of unsolved bombings in.
Quintana Roo will have Port Facilities Protection Code
“As part of the security adjustments.
Mexico celebrates Benito Juarez “The Lincoln of Mexico”
Benito Juarez’s birthday (March 21) is.